Ray Bradbury Forums
Problems in Writing

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/4841065901

29 December 2001, 09:04 AM
DR.IMAN
Problems in Writing
I've tried to write. In fact, I have wrote many short stories and currently am working on a book. I often model some things after Bradbury, I figure what works for him works for everyone. But for some reason when it comes to detail I'm not sure if I have enough. Sometimes it seems as if I get in a hurry to get the main point in the story and don't add enough detail. I look at a story as being popcorn and detail being the butter and salt. What's popcorn without salt and butter? Not very good. Does anyone else have this problem? It would be helpful to hear from ANYONE!!
06 January 2002, 01:15 PM
Christos
[This message has been edited by Christos (edited 01-06-2002).]
06 January 2002, 02:20 PM
Christos
As a rule you should put in only as much description as you need. I'm sure as you read this, you'll probably think, "How the hell am I supposed to do that?"

It takes practice, but here's a simple exercise to help you on your way. Go to your bookshelf and grab any collection of Ray's stories (If you've got "The Stories of Ray Bradbury," grab that). Open it up to the Table of Contents.

Look at the titles: "The Veldt," "Rocket Man," "Marionnettes Inc.," "The Pedestrian," "The Day It Rained Forever..."

See how economical and elegant they are? These strings of words provide enough description to tempt us into reading without giving away the game. Similarly, your descriptions should tantalize readers without overloading them.

Which of these titles works better?

"The Blue Bottle" or "The Liquid-Bearing Vessel of a Somewhat Bluish Tinge?"

"The Illustrated Man" or "The Fleshy Circus Freak Derelict Whose Body is Covered with Magical Tattoos?"

Think about it and, more importantly, have fun writing.
06 January 2002, 02:52 PM
SethD105
Dr. See if you can find "Zen in the Art of Writing" by Mr Bradbury. It contains an Essay by the same title on writing, with his own approach. Try Interlibrary Loan if you are unable to find the volume at a local library. It is an Excellent essay with great insight into the writing process, and it could not come from a better source!!!

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 01-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by uncle (edited 01-06-2002).]
06 January 2002, 02:58 PM
douglasSP
I like what you say, Christos, and I wonder if you'll agree with me on this:

While his stories have always been superbly, succintly, and enticingly titled,the titles of mr Bradbury's poems lack just that quality. Far too often, they are long-winded.