Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Waukegan/Greentown Tour Report with Pictures
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waukegan/Greentown Tour Report with Pictures
 Login/Join

posted
As of this moment, putting pictures online of the Waukegan Tour Report (originally written about last year) in 'Ray's Legacy' postings. By late evening (Wednesday, 20th of August) it should be pretty much completed, with readable copy.
But you can see 'something' now.

(click on, or type into finder) http://www.catchaway.com

Click on "Bradbury"

Then, click on 'Tour Report'

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 08-20-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Great stuff, especially of the ravine. But it stopped at picture number 6 and the captions hint at a total of nine pictures. (That is to say, there was no navigational buttons on picture six. Couldn't go forward.) Otherwise, thanks from those of us who've yet to make the pilgrimage.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, Nard! I had always wanted to see the ravine. It wasn't as scarey as my mind had built it up to be, but then again if it was night time, and I had to cross it alone, I'd be terrified.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: Pictures turned out very good on my screen. Very clear with good colors. Liked the ravine ones and really liked the one of Ray's house and the library. Very cool.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, you guys!
Pictures (all 9) should be on with readable captions, etc. by later today sometime...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard: I was able to see all nine this morning. With your post, I'm wondering if that's possible. I wasn't hallucinating, was I?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:

All nine (9) photos should be on now.

A little 'photoshop' to clean up the wrong imprint dating on some of the pictures and print legible captions instead of ball-point pen scrawl, is forthcoming. And you can throw in the straightening of the 'tilted' pictures, and less 'instruction jumbo'.

My Webmaster friend just emailed me to say it'll all get done by Sunday morning, that's the 24th...because of time constraints...(Maybe, possibly, he said, a tad earlier...)

Was hoping to get something online this week....even if comes initially with all the rough edges...

posted Hide Post
Nard,

Re-visited this afternoon. Perfect. Thanks for the wonderful tour. I really got a kick out of it.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,
Great pictures. The photo of Mr. Bradbury's boyhood home and of the library steps gave me chills. I hope to make the pilgrimage myself someday soon, I live about five hours south of Waukegan and have always wanted to go there as two of my role models are from there (Ray Bradbury and Jack Benny). I have a dream of harvesting dandelions from the yard of his home and of his grandparents and making them into dandelion wine. Is the literary walk an annual event? When does it happen and where can I get info? Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greentown!!!

It's supposed to be an annual event...having to do with funds for the development of Carnegie Library into a Children's Museum...

I have some other pictures of the library (inside) that I'll probably post shortly. Somewheres a long while back, I came across a picture inside the library taken in the 1930's. It seemed to have an additional "false" floor. That would be neat to re-locate the picture....
(The pictures on my website of the tour...will be cleaned up a bit, and real printed captions instead of scrawl, by this Sunday, 24th Aug.)

About harvesting dandelions, hurry up is all I can say.
The two houses (Ray's parents and Ray's Grandparents).... used to be joined as late as the early 90's by a lawn. And then somehow neighbors decided to build a fence, and Ray's yard is half tarred over with a pick-up truck in it, the last time I was there.
But you could still "borrow" dandelions from the grandparents home, it seems, since there still is a lawn there....

Go visit. Waukegan isn't in the best of economic times, so there are tons of stores for rent, and property values are probably pretty low, too, for housing.

But home is...where the heart is. Byzantium! Byzantium!

posted Hide Post
Some nice photographs there--thanks for posting them! The new wooden bridge does look very nice, to be sure....

I'll have to dig out some older photographs taken round Waukegan some years ago. I can't even remember for sure which sites I photographed, though I know that Mr Bradbury's house and his grandparents' house were on that roll, as well as the old library and the railway tracks and of course the ravine. At some point in the future maybe I can post a few of them--providing I can find them!.

Does anyone here know the street addresses for the Bradbury houses, or the old library? I was looking at a map of Waukegan this evening--it's been so long since I've been there that I can't quite orient myself on the map; I'd like to get a clear idea in my head of where those two locations are in town... Are the houses slightly to the south-west of Ray Bradbury Park?

Posts: 90 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard-

Wow, thanks for the wonderful Green Town photos! The ravine is just as I imagined. Man, I want to go there. Maybe next summer.

If you learn anything else about another Bradbury Walk, would you let me know? Perhaps I can plan accordingly.

Best, and thanks again,

Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
octobercountry:
I will find the 'exact' addresses and post them. But off hand, Ray's grandparents house was on Washington Street, and Ray's parents house was on, I believe, 11 St. James Street. Carnegie? Hmm!

Greg Miller:
Will find out about the 'Bradbury Walk' and let you know. Continued best wishes on your new book.

posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nard.
When was the walk this year?

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard-

Thanks very much on both fronts. I hope I have a chance to go this summer!

All Best,

Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post