Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    IDIOTS INVADE BRADBURY SITE. MORE TO COME!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IDIOTS INVADE BRADBURY SITE. MORE TO COME!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
oh wait, almost forgot.

The reason why your pukes is because you came to a fansite to cause trouble.

Kind of Sad. But, it makes me laugh. Thanks.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard
Why can't one thing be both a documenatry as well as a satire? Ever seen "SuperSize Me"?

Shocking to see that Moore makes the Americans look like the bad guys, eh? I mean, all America did was invade a country and kill 15 000 people, with more being killed everyday...ahh that Moore! Always talking foolishness!

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Documetary = "consisting of, concerning, or based upon documents. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matters."

Satire = "A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision or wit. Irony or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly. vice or stupidity."

(From the American Heritage Dictionary -- even my dictionary is patriotic.)

While it may be arguable, the two seem mutually exclusive, based on definition.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about Mockumentary?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator:

Should I be very smart in the history of the world, perhaps I could say something smart.

But with my small sense of events and cycles of events and the ups and downs of societies and civilizations, I cannot make any judgment of what will happen. Other than it can't last.

The nature of everything seems to be the mis-use of anything invented, no matter of grand, and coupled that with the ignorance of so many in a new generation that follows. Is there just not enough 'good' people around? I cannot see how the world is not going to blow itself up unless some incredible thing takes place that prevents that. Don't snicker. Maybe an invasion from another star system will hold our hands from firing any longer against one another. (It is a self made law among ALL those around the world who control transmissions of radio telescopes, and other high communications capabilities, to NOT send a signal into space to communcate with possible life. The reason: We don't really know what's out there, and Woe!! should we contact a aggressive intelligence.)

Some grand personalities come on the scene, occasionally, and make things right. It will ultimatly happen, but in the meanwhile, there's an awful lot of tragedy coming that no one person or country will be able to stop. Tragedy is built in. Wew work and struggle and live each day with triumphs and failures, to, ultimately, fail. Our bodies fall apart. You can make sense of that in a practical manner, but in
philosophical speak...it makes NO sense. Unless, it's the great bump in the road and death is simply a ultimate arranger of the 'quality' of further 'life'.
I would think the latter is true.

I forget the point why I started this little essay. Hmmm! Well, maybe the ramblings had more to say than that point which doesn't seem important now.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pindik:
Bush/Bradbury '04

I know Ray says he's an independent, but so does Bill O'Reilly.

Bush/Pindik 04

Mickey Mouse/ Osama Bin Laden

See, you're not the only one that can make no sense. So quit feeling special.

Posts: 102 | Location: El Paso, TX. USA | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, watch whose name you're taking in vain. Mickey Mouse enjoys protected status!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr Dark,
from the same dictionary:

(The American Heritage� Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition. Copyright � 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by the Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.)

(you obviously forgot to give the full defintion, especially when the word is used as a noun):

Documentary

ADJECTIVE: 1. Consisting of, concerning, or based on documents. 2. Presenting facts objectively without editorializing or inserting fictional matter, as in a book or film.

NOUN: Inflected forms: pl. doc�u�men�ta�ries
A work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration.

----Please note that that is what Moore is doing, for the most part, with his movies. He narrates actual news films and interviews. He is also factual for the most part.

Satire

NOUN: 1a. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit. b. The branch of literature constituting such works. See synonyms at caricature. 2. Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.

----I do not see why the two things cannot be joined together. If he narrates the movies in a satirical vein, he is still doing a documentary.

Thus, he is doing a satirical documenatry, where he combines the elements of the two ideas together.

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Documentary still seems too serious a term. If you don't like Mockumentary, how does Crockumentary strike you?

posted Hide Post
He simply does not present information in a "factual and informative" manner -- it is one-sided and inflammatory. He is very good at what he does, but it is NOT documentary. He is the first to admit he has an agenda when he does the film. He is not pretending it is a traditional documentary.

I didn't include the noun definition because, as your entry shows, there was a certain amount of redundancy to it. It was not a "trick" if that's what you're implying.

I heard the term "docutainment" today, in reference to Moore's film. Perhaps that's a good word for it.

I still maintain that a documentary is objective. When you go in another direction, it is something else.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 06-28-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a plain ol'
inflamentary

What irked me a little today is when I heard several times Moore's filmed referred to as plain ol'... ''Fahrenheit''. That ..."Fahrenheit"... did such a such at the box office, or "Fahrenheit" is really big in New York. Heard someone even call Moore's film sarcastically,'' Fahrenheit 411''. Gee! Just one digit off there!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey - you say doumentertainment, I say satirical documentary. You say spectales, I say eye-glasses. Pas de problem.

Cheers, Translator

[This message has been edited by Translator (edited 06-28-2004).]

Lem Reader