Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Nominate Ray Bradbury for Oprah's Bookclub
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nominate Ray Bradbury for Oprah's Bookclub
 Login/Join

posted
Just discovered that Oprah is returning to her bookclub with a twist...classics! The shows will be entitled "Traveling With the Classics." Here's the link: http://www.oprah.com/books/classics/books_classics_news.jhtml

Here's an opportunity to let the producers know that Ray Bradbury is our #1 choice. On that same link, you can email Oprah with show ideas. Nominate your favorite Bradbury book and let them know why. Be passionate, persuasive, and profound. Let's see if activism works.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope you have better luck. Did that 4 or 5 years ago didn't get anywhere. She omitted the Book Club because viewers dropped and she lost money to advertisers, not because of the poor quality of books out there as she had stated....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right. But she was doing contemporary, dysfunctional family-type stuff. Maybe with a focus on classics, something like F451 or MC would have a better shot.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that the books were bad. I read several of them and thought most of her recommended books from her "club" were worthy reads!

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 04-24-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mr. Dark.

Stay optimistic all.

Put your most eloquent posts to good use.

posted Hide Post
Let me know if you send an email to the Oprah show. Use your voice. Don't let this opportunity turn into a doornail.

posted Hide Post
Years back, I tried to get my Ma to go to the Oprah Show. I wound-up going myself, and after the show everyone that wanted to ...got to meet Oprah and shake her hand. Hmm! I would imagine that they still do that. Seems like the place to slip her a suggestion of a book for her club...

To See the Show:
312 591-9222.

To Write a Letter:
Harpo Studios, 1058 West Washington Blvd, Chicago, Illinois 60607

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on the show once and left a copy of my novel, beautifully gift-wrapped, at the door, which was as far in as they let me take it. (The audience got to talk with Oprah but not shake her hand.) I got the same damn form rejection as if I had mailed it. Everything is done at the one location--filming the show, mail, etc. There is no special, better, insider address.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your rejection. What is your novel about? Title?

I'm trying to think of something different to get Oprah's attention. Maybe send her a book of matches with a note that says "It was a pleasure to burn." Then again, I might get arrested.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for asking, here is a link:

The Hidden Nook Books http://hiddennook.com/page5.html

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

Went to Hidden Nook link, but found three books on page 5. Which is yours?

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is only one by Cornelia Shields, which is my real name.

posted Hide Post
Well heck, while we're on the subject of our own books, feel free to check out mine! It comes out next month and I'm very excited about it:
http://www.gardeniapress.com/cicadas.htm

If you click on the book cover you can see a photo of me, etc.

Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to go, both Dandelion and Greg!! Both books look great, and when I get paid this Friday, I'm ordering both of them. Through this board, I feel like I know you, at least a little bit, so I'm very excited to read books you've written. Congratulations!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Most of us fantasize about writing a book (I know I do!), but to actually write one and get it published is really something to be proud of!

Greg: Love the picture of you. Very casual, yet it looks very "writeresque"!

Dandelion: While I may not have the cool dust jacket (I do have an early, layout version), I am grateful for the personal inscription in my copy. I also like the blending of research, history and narrative, along with the photos and drawings. Very well done!

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 04-29-2003).]