Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    studying ray more

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

studying ray more
 Login/Join

posted
what sort of a person was ray?
did he tell jokes or was he serious?
what did he like to do when he wasn't writing?
how would litle kids describe him? mean or nice?

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(1) Speaking from my own personal experience, I can say that Ray Bradbury is not only my favorite writer, he is also one of the kindest and most considerate men I have ever met.

(2)Ray is very serious about his writing. However, he has a wonderful sense of humor and a great love of life.

(3) He loves reading and libraries. He has a passion for films, the theater, radio and all of the arts. He also enjoys spending time with his many friends.

(4) See my answer to (1). Also, Ray has four daughters and eight grandchildren, so he has a lot of experience being around kids!

I notice you keep using "was" and "did". Ray is very much active and alive at age (almost) 83.

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Richard's comments above.

I heard someone once say about Ray, years back...
'Ray is a wonderfully successful writer and gifted individual who acts as if he hasn't yet gotten the news about himself.'

Perhaps by now he may have a better sense about himself. That means he has been very normal to be around. Very dynamic. You never forget him. He slams open doors and gently shuts them. He sometimes looks over your shoulder while you are talking to him, and you feel he is seeing things beyond your imagination... that has something to do with your language or how you have presented yourself. He's in love with the past. He is in the love with the future. He uses the present to fly between both worlds. But anchored very much in the present as well, working away with the things that need to be done. He talks about evil and death crowding in and the need to finish his work while there is still time. Yet I have sat down with him at a party and talked normal things ... like, "Don't you need furniture in your apartment in order to start writing?" Sounds silly. But it's difficult to write in a bare room, isn't it? "Heck!" Bradbury would shout. "Get some milk carton crates. One for a chair, another for a desk. Paper, a pencil. Walah! Get writing...."
See! A no -nonsense type of guy!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was great Richard and Nard. But just how in the hell did you both get to know him? Did you go up and knock on his door?

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ought Not
First started writing Ray while in college, and had published a couple short stories (Bird of Death and The Dark House) in the Literary Supplemenet to the college paper. Asked him if he saw the resemblance to his writings, the influence? He wrote back saying... he was thankful that he could be an influence in my life, but that I needed to find my own style.
And that's how it started with me.....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first met Ray in a hotel lobby at a convention in Los Angeles in the 1990's as a tongue-tied fan. I was speechless for the first and only time in my life. Ray was so kind to me that day. He saw on my name tag that I was from Evanston, Illinois and he exclaimed, "Hey, I'm from Waukegan!" He then proceeded to talk to me for several minutes and made me feel like I was a long-lost friend instead of someone he had just met. And that's how it started for me....

Posts: 2456 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard:

I sure bet that was a surprise! It would have been for me. That he took the time to actually read your story and reply with advice is outstanding. I believe the only author that has replied to me, well sent an autographed photo at least, was when I wrote to Donald J. Sobel of Encyclopedia Brown fame while I was in middle school.

And how has your writing style gone since?

Richard:

Oh, I would be equally tongue-tied. I'd probably end up like Leslie Nielson, stepping in trashcans and falling over tables, accidentally starting a fire to the shelf carrying assortments of Farenheit 451's. And when all is over Mr. Bradbury turns to me and says, "Kill that man please."

posted Hide Post
ought not:
Loved your description to Richard.

I'd say I am about the most unfocused person around...like a breath of air not smart enough to avoid turbulences. Whoof! And you'll find me working some idiot job only to eventually get back on course. (Of course, there's less sand in the hour glass of life.) Hence, a couple hundred jobs. Amidst them, about 10 different magazines, as assistant editor to art director...a writer for a motivational research outfit that nearly made me "mad"...and an assorted other bunch of
odd jobs, all in search of the meaning of
life and the meaning of myself. Nothing seems THAT important anymore except to enjoy what's left and understand death.

posted Hide Post
Hmmm, Nard, you might well benefit from a conference with Timothy's many-greats grandmother. What sort of person? One of the most straightforward and nice individuals ever. Able to be blunt and to the point without being rude and able to say no without giving offense--he could give lessons in cultures where "no" is considered kind of a no-no. Certainly outspoken, charming, and with a mischievous sense of humor. One of his pranks with his SF Club friends was giving the "hot foot." He's also said to have pulled at least one great prank on John Huston. He's never been dominated by others and managed to keep one step ahead of the efforts of Huston, who had a need to dominate everyone with whom he came in contact. Ray's coke-bottle glasses enabled him to read (probably his main activity besides writing) but not to participate in competitive sports. He has enjoyed individual sports such as bicycling and swimming--I've never heard of him horseback riding but wouldn't be surprised. He's claimed to like dogs and cats equally but keeps cats as they're easier to keep indoors. I think kids would like him. If they don't, maybe there's something wrong with those kids.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard:

A couple a hundred jobs? I must try to beat that record. I can hardly consider staying with one job my entire life. Yes, that would be my hell. If I attempted to stick it out in a place rather than hold firm to my outlook on life I would be better off dead.

posted Hide Post
ought not:

YOU 'ought not' have that many jobs. It's downright crazy and time consuming. Time is like money in the bank. You can keep drawing on it, but in this case, you can't put any in....
Years ago I made a detailed list on the number of jobs I had.... I came up with about 230 plus jobs. Maybe my memory is truly on the fritz. But I've had a couple dozen more since the list was made. There was a time when I thought each job was a short story that didn't get written....

This is no joke: When I was 20, I wanted to publish a magazine. So I decided to work like crazy to get the money. I worked from 8:30am to 4:30 at a railroad, the Erie Lackawana, and 6:00 pm to about 6:00 am at a trucking company, as a biller-manifest clerk. About two hours later I was back at the railroad. Slept on my breaks and lunch hour. Went right to sleep, and my alarm clock woke me up 10 or 15 minutes later. Was so strung out in this schedule, that I never did get that magazine out. No, I was lured away by a 327 Corvette, which I bought and wiped away a couple years of my life in riotous driving...
My advice today, be 'anchored' in your beliefs and make absolutely sure they are tempered with eternity ...and then go for it...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 08-06-2003).]

posted Hide Post
We all walk different lives. I think I'd be hard-pressed to hold so many jobs and be able to keep my life together. I'm more attenuated to "order". Not necessarily a good thing, but change is not easy for me.

On Ray, I first met him, like others I suppose, at a book signing. I had gotten there hours early, in 1980, for a signing in Pasadena, CA for "The Stories of Ray Bradbury". I bought the book early, and was just browsing in the store. They had not even set up the signing table yet. I felt a tap on my shoulder from behind and someone asked me if I was there for the Bradbury signing. I turned and began to say yes, and there he was. He said that he was early and saw the book in my hand, and thought he could sign it for me and then I wouldn't have to wait. He was very, very nice and it was a generous gesture of him. He chatted with me (I was completely tongue-tied), and was very courteous and thoughtful. Just friendly, kind and had a very gracious smile and (I know this sounds like Santa, but I don't know how else to say it) a literal twinkle in his eye. He seemed to emanate life.

I next attended a lecture he gave in Pasadena in 1981. I didn't go up to meet him afterwards, but I remember how much FUN his lecture was. Opinionated, enthusiastic, energetic, humorous, in some cases self-deprecating. It was a great evening. The topic was: "Beyond 1984: Back into Space" but he talked about a lot of different things -- including the space program.

I then got to visit with him in his house where he was down-to-earth, funny, charming, witty, well aware of current events, and answered questions on writing, his home, his cat, etc. He graciously signed books and posters and invited us to see his plays the following night.

We saw him the next night where we got to talk to him before and after the play and watched/listened as he introduced the play with little stories about the origins of the three plays that were being performed.

He is, in every way, a true gentleman!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, Nard. I'm in a constant need of it. And wow, that was one serious work schedule! I've had similar plans of working to a state of delirium to rack up some money for a business of my own, though I haven't had a clear sight of what that business might be. I realize that could make for problems. All that comes to mind is the Magic Shop, a little Bradburyesqe story I am fond of by H.G Wells. And off the topic I just read a story of Mr. Bradbury's that could easily pass as a work of H.G. Wells: Frost and Fire.

posted Hide Post
Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry for askin stupid questions, I'm the kind of person that likes to know "why" things work and not "how".

Posts: 4 | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post