Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What are the details and informations in this paragraph of a sound of thunder?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the details and informations in this paragraph of a sound of thunder?
 Login/Join

posted
Details: desciptions...helps see people, objects, places in mind
Not needed to folloe structure/understand what happens later

Information:facts... helps know what is happening, to who, with what, where, when, and why
Needed to follow stucture/understand what happens later.

The paragraph

He indicated a metal path that struck off into green wilderness, over streaming swamp, among
giant fems and palms.

"And that,"he said,"is the Path, laid by Time Safari for your use,

It floats six inches above the earth. Doesn't touch so much as one grass blade, flower, or tree. It's
an anti-gravity metal. [lts purpose is to keep you from touching this world of the past in any way.
Stay on the path. Don't go off it. I repeat. Don't go off. For any reason! If you fall off, there's a
penalty. And don't shoot any animal we don't okay-"

"Why?"asked Eckels.

They sat in the ancient wilderness. Far birds'cries blew on a wind, and the smell of tar and an old
salt sea, moist grasses, and flowers the color of blood.

"we don't want to change the Future. we don't belong here in the Past. The government doesn't
like us here. We have to pay big graft to keep our franchise. A Time Machine is finicky business.
Not knowing it, we might kill an important animal, a small bird, a roach, a flower even, thus
destroying an important link in a growing species. "

"That's not clear,"said Eckels.

"All right,"Travis continued,"say we accidentally kill one mouse here. That means all the future
families of this one particular mouse are destroyed, right?"

"Right"

"And all the families of the families of the families of that one mouse! With a stamp of your foot,
you annihilate fqrst one, then a dozen, then a thousand, a million, a billion possible mice!"

"So they're dead, " said Eckels."So what?"

"So what?"Travis snorted quietly."Well, what about the foxes that'll need those mice to survive?
For want of ten mice, a fox dies. For want of ten foxes a lion starves. For want of a lion, all
manner of insects, vultures, infinite billions of life forms are thrown into chaos and destruction.
Eventually it all boils down to this fifty-nine million years later, a caveman, one ofa dozen on
the entire world, goes hunting wild boar or saber-toothed tiger for food. But you, ffiend, have
stepped on all the tigers in that region. By stepping on one single mouse. So the caveman starves.
And the caveman, please note, is notjust any expendable man, no! He is an entire future nation.
From his loins would have sprung ten sons. From their loins one hundred sons, and thus onward
to a civilization. Destroy this one man, and you destroy a race, a people, an entire history of life.
It is comparable to slayng some of Adam's grandchildren. The stomp of your foot, on one mouse,
could start an earthquake, the eflects of which could shake our earth and destinies down through
Time, to their very foundations. With the death of that one caveman, a billion others yet unborn
are throttled in the womb. Perhaps Rome never rises on its seven hills. Perhaps Europe is forever
a dark forest, and only Asia waxes healthy and teeming. Step on a mouse and you crush the
p}ramids. Step on a mouse and you leave your print, like a Grand Canyon, across Eternity. Queen
Elizabeth might never be bom, Washington might not cross the Delaware, there might never be a
United States at all. So be careful. Stay on the Path. Never step off!"

"I see, " said Eckels."Then it wouldn't pay for us even to touch the grass?"

Posts: 3 | Registered: 28 April 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although not against the rules to do people's homework for them, it is not encouraged either.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch..sorry if this is not Apppriate.. It's just that I live in Korea and I'm having a awful hard time getting this correct. Would it be better if I told you this was not for homework but a advanced research activity? i spent hours on various sites looking up bradbury with no sucess. i thought that this being a site dedicated to bradbury, there would be some experts on his work.

posted Hide Post
Some teachers do stop in but don't seem to have seen this. Are you on Facebook?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes,i am is there a page I can get help from?

posted Hide Post
This group has over 350 members: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1642220119366333/