Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Old pamphlet of RB lecture Brandeis U Woman's group from 1952

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old pamphlet of RB lecture Brandeis U Woman's group from 1952
 Login/Join

posted
Today a friend gave me a small pamphlet of a lecture by Ray in1952.

It's called "No Man is an Island", and it says it is an address delivered by Ray at the annual meeting Nov. 7, 1952, before the Los Angeles chapter of the National Women's Committee of Brandeis University (Beverly Hills). It was printed by request for the members of that organization. Evidently they were planning on building a library.

Anybody ever see this? The lecture is very good, very inspirational. I don't see a copyright on it anywhere, was wondering if it would be okay to post the good parts.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congradulations on you and your good friend!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fanboy, you have a generous friend. The pamphlet reproducing that speech, which was written during the McCarthy era and in which Ray discusses the dangers of censorship, is quite rare and valuable. (In decent condition, the pamphlet currently sells for several hundred dollars!) As for posting some of the contents of the pamphlet on this website, if you plan to quote more than a few sentences, getting permission first from Ray or his agent would probably be a good idea, in order to avoid any potential copyright issues.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fanboy,

Ray would probably like a copy of that for himself.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pamphlet has waterstains on it, so it isn't in the greatest condition, unfortunately. It doesn't have any tears or wrinkles, though. I'm so glad someone here knows something about it! My friend's mother was in the Women's group that he spoke to that day.

In the lecture Ray talks about the burning of books and libraries, even though Farenheit 451 didn't come out until the next year. He explains why totalitarian governments find libraries dangerous. He says that books help create tolerance because they enable people to live through the lives of people from different races and faiths. Fascinating and very inspiring.

jkt, if Ray wants a copy, I can photocopy it and send it to you. I think I still have your address around here somewhere. I would think they would have sent him some copies, but that was a long time ago, and I've seen in photos that Ray's housekeeping is about like mine....tornado style.....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:

jkt, if Ray wants a copy, I can photocopy it and send it to you. I think I still have your address around here somewhere. I would think they would have sent him some copies, but that was a long time ago, and I've seen in photos that Ray's housekeeping is about like mine....tornado style.....

I'm sure Ray or his archivist has a copy...somewhere. I do know that Ray would love to see it again and my allergies give me limited access to the basement. :-}

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jkt, I have the booklet copied and in the envelope, it will be on it's way to you soon!

posted Hide Post
It just happens that I own a pretty good copy of that pamphlet in my Bradbury collection. I have had it for a few years and it is a pricy itme to acquire for a collector of Ray's works. Hold on to it.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
jkt, I have the booklet copied and in the envelope, it will be on it's way to you soon!

Thank you.

John King Tarpinian