Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A Graveyard for Lunatics

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Graveyard for Lunatics
 Login/Join

posted
On Thursday, January 9th, 2003 I have a book report due on the book "A Graveyard for Lunatics" and one of the things that I need is a summary of the book. I was wondering if someone could help me some with that. I thank you in advance!

Posts: 4 | Location: redlands, california, usa | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it's not due until the ninth, I must say that there is plenty of time to read the book. Then any summary you can come up with would be better than one any of us would provide. But then that's just the teacher in me talking.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The problem with a book summary (externally derived, that is) is that you don't ever get to experience the book yourself -- you have to vicariously live through someone else's description of an experience THEY had. Unless the assignment is to bring in SOMEONE ELSE'S book summary, the sad truth is, you'll have to read it and provide your own.

Literature is only partially appreciated at second hand. You've got to get into it yourself. Even if the assignment is to bring in a third-party summary, you should still read the book yourself so you can evaluate the merits of the summary.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 01-04-2003).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well I did read the book but it was over a period of time, so I don't remember alot of the stuff. Also the book didn't make much sense to me. It was a good book but kinda confusing...

Posts: 4 | Location: redlands, california, usa | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alixia::::::
Per your reading of Graveyard for Lunatics: Hey! Forget the book report for a moment.....

If, as you mentioned, you don't remember a lot of stuff you read... (it was, as you said, read a little bit of at a time)...that the book didn't make much sense, 'and' adding to that, it was..."kinda confusing", what brought you to the point that made you think it was..."a good book"?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Answering the question, "what made it a good book" would put you well on your way to writing a summary.

Now that I know you've read it, I would offer more help, but I haven't read that one, yet.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:

Gee, what a nice guy.....

I must be going thru After -Holiday Grumpies.....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually enjoy helping people on this site. I resent it when people have done NO work and expect us to do their job for them, but if they have read it and are just struggling with meaning or want other opinions . . . if I can help, I will.

Since the person has read the book and said they felt it was good, I think the suggestion to examine WHY they thought it was good is a good suggestion. It will help them re-think what it was that drove that conclusion.

posted Hide Post
Hey, thanx for the help. I just couldn't get started, but once I did, I really got going and I finished it in time for tomorrow. I think it came out good. I had my teacher read it today and he said that it should get a high grade. When writing reports or papers for school I am actually pretty good at writing and the way I can put sentences together. I am just one of the types that needs a positive influence and encouragement. I will keep that in mind for my next book report, its a good thing to think about while writing, and also writing like your favorite parts of the book. Well thank you again for your help I appreciated it. :-D