Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Birthday Bash
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Birthday Bash
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
HEY! It's ....
B I R T H D A Y T I M E A G A I N

RAY will be 84 years old on August 22nd 2004.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAY!!!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm joining the congratulations!
Happy birthday, Ray!!!

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday, Mr Bradbury, and thank you for what you've given us so far.

Posts: 149 | Location: Ostend, Belgium | Registered: 11 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More on the way, and LIVE FOREVER!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'...he recognized him, asked him who is was, and found that he had been a porter on the Super Chief for many years, which Ray used to ride across the country. The...'

Please, explain me what is 'Super Chief'?
Thank you!

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A certain train. Do trains in Russia have names?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Elron:

In the early days of passenger trains they all had names. Chief may have some connection to the Wild West and American Indian presence during the development of the cross country rail lines.

A short list of the some of the names are:

Kansas City Chief The Scout
Texas Chief The Antelope
El Capitan Oil Flyer
The Grand Canyon The Golden Gate
California Special California Limited

Railroad history is quite fascinating and would prove to be enjoyable for you to research.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chattanooga Choo-choo?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chattanooga Choo-Choo, Wabash Cannonball, and the Train they call the City of New Orleans, all have famous songs about them. There is also the "Rock Island Line" which sort of evokes Ray's poem about "Far Rockaway." The Chattanooga Choo-Choo I believe still exists in a museum, and, despite the "dying-era-almost-over" tone of the song, written more than 30 years ago, the Train they call the City of New Orleans is still an operating passenger train. A tragic crash a few years ago was attributable to human error--not mechanical failure of the train.

posted Hide Post
The Santa Fe "Super Chief" ran from Chicago to Los Angeles prior to 1972 I think. See link attached: http://milliron.home.sprynet.com/rmsfpage16.htm

also try this one: http://www.banksofthesusquehanna.com/MM37Super.html

Sorry for the edits, I was updating my facts.

[This message has been edited by patrask (edited 08-08-2004).]

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>A certain train. Do trains in Russia have names?

Thank you all for the answers. I know only two trains in Russia that have their names: they are 'Blue arrow' and 'Red arrow'. Both ride between Moscow and Saint-Petersburg.

posted Hide Post
More train stuff:
I ride the California Surfliner down the coast to San Diego. It runs right on the beach for most of the way, probably the only train like it in the world. Fantastic views of Pacific and early morning surfers out enjoying the waves.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds wonderful.
I recall seeing a film years ago about the last run of the California Zephyr. They actually tried to time the run so the passengers would see some sights at the most impressive times, e.g. crossing the Mississippi at sunset...

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the year or the magazine, but Ray, who rode trains for many years, wrote a neat piece about rail travel for Life or Look, or one of those publications.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray' Birthday just a few days off:
August 22nd.

But it'll be a sad day, since his great friend and director of so many of his plays, Charles Rome Smith, passed away earlier in the week.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post