Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Hot Finds!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot Finds!
 Login/Join

posted
This is the place to post your hot book finds, whether you got it free, cheaply, or at some cost.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in a bookstore so I do run across good book finds periodically. I will be leaving my store next week to start operations for opening a new one that I will help manage. My friend Michelle gave to me as I was leaving a going away gift. It was a circa 1980 edition of The Martian Chronicles illustrated by Ian Miller and it is spectacular. I may try and take a few pics to post in the next few days. I am thrilled with it. Several other hot finds that came through our buy counter that I was able to get my hot little fingers on were a first edition paperback of Fahrenheit 451 that was to be tossed because of a broken spine. My friend at the store on another occasion gave me a 1968 hardback copy of F-451. Also, I bought a copy of Martian Chronicles the play for $3.98. I was able to get the Hardback F-451 and The Martian Chronicles play signed by Ray.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket, keep your eyes open for the ultimate rare Ray Bradbury book,The Dogs Eat Sweet Grass

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will, thanks library. I never heard of it.

posted Hide Post
We're all geeks for different things. I mean... I might totally geek over something even such kindred spirits as are found here might only find mildly amusing. The wonderful thing is when you find what you believe to be such an item, only to see others react with unexpected enthusiasm. They know. And in that moment of shared interest, or knowledge, or appreciation, or whatever it is... is found a geek's ultimate validation. Someone out there, someone right there, understands you. They were right there all along, and you never knew. You underestimated them, or perhaps you relished in the idea that "no one understands me." The world isn't as big as you thought it was. Your tiny island is suddenly looking like Manhattan. Time to find weirder, more obscure interests. Yup, now I like banjo music.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe the title is actually "The Dogs That Eat Sweet Grass." As I understand it, the book was an unauthorised printing of the transcript of an extensive interview Ray Bradbury gave in the 1960s.

The official transcript is in the archives of UCLA, and is available to researchers, but someone tookit upon themselves to publish it as a book without permission. All copies are supposed to have been destroyed, but there are bound to be one or two copies that escaped the cull.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's true grass, it's nice when you get validation and sometimes it happens in the most strange places and times. It even leads to long lasting friendships sometimes, then again it can be less fortuitous like my penchant for the kazoo and my love of doing a cheezy Indian rain dance with it. Nice info as usual Phil, you are the true officianado of this site, thanks. By the way, cull is a good word.

posted Hide Post
Today, a big Bradbury buy came in on the counter. A girl named Shannon handled it. Most of them I had, of interest that I was able to buy A Fortieth Anniversary Edition of Fahrenheit 451 hardback, 1993, my price of half was $5.98. I probably can get a first edition of Green Shadows, White Whale for about the same price. Should I get this, can't remember if this is overly interesting or not. What do you all think, I guess I will if there is a question. Just short on cashright this minute. Also maybe first edition Illustrated Man. I have a copy signed but I love that book so much and I simply adore the Ray riding a bike pic on the back. Plus we rarely see many Ray hardbacks come in. Today also, I gave one of the new girls, Rose, a soft back of F-451. She's never read Bradbury. Possibly a new fan!

posted Hide Post
PHIL:
Bradbury tried to buy back, or get back those unauthorized copies. I actually held one in my hands, a leather-bound 8 1/2 x 11 copy ...of the original manuscript, with a pic on the frontispiece, full page, of RayBradbury photographed by friend Nik Grant. I'm hazy on the exact numbers Ray got back, but I recall a dozen copies, or a couple more perhaps. I believe less than 30 copies were printed. Bradbury withdrew his manuscript from UCLA because of the incident, at the time.

rocket:
That photo of Ray on the bike was an inspiration to me years back. There is a photo of Ray on a bike on my website, taken right outside the door to his old office on Wilshire Boulevard. There was no air in the tires, I recall. And so Ray just walked the bike around that morning for picture taking. (See picture attachment)

Image20.jpg (52 Kb, 9 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, are you hinting that Ray didn't really ride his bike very much? When the BBC made a documentary about him, he was shown cycling from his house to his office. I wonder how often he did this. There are pics on this page from my site.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard & phil, you two are so much a part of the heart and soul of this site that it just wouldn't be close to being so great without you both, just want to say thank you! I love both of your websites, phil, I recently looked up a short story on yours and noticed how nice it looked, I think you made some recent changes to it. Very dynamic and informative as yours is too Nard, those pictures would never have seen the light of day or other eyes without your diligent work to retrieve them, amazing. Your artwork is first rate too. phil, the bbc film looks very good, is it obtainable? Anyway, thank you both, the love of Bradbury shines brightly through your websites!

Nard, the other day at work, a 1930 copy of Moby Dick illustrated by Rockwell Kent was in the garbage and I spied it. I picked it up and it was in sad shape with a busted spine and some mold on the inside cover. I put it on my stash shelf at work and later when I was leaving found it in the trash again. They are very diligent about keeping moldy books away from the other books and a manager took it off my shelf and tossed it again. I gave this same book to a friend of mine for doing a favor for me. Anyway, I re-retrieved it and brought it home where I carefully cleaned the mold off with a light solution of bleach water. I treasure it now and it has rejoined my bookshelf where I keep my favorites, among all my Bradbury books.

p.s. I love my job!

posted Hide Post
rocket, alas the BBC documentary isn't commercially available. My recording of it is an off-air recording from the original broadcast, and is quite poor. I recently transferred it to DVD, so it shouldn't get any worse from this point on!

Thanks for the kind words on the website. I get very little time to do anything with it, but I'm glad the incomplete info on there is useful.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Nard & phil, you two are so much a part of the heart and soul of this site that it just wouldn't be close to being so great without you both, just want to say thank you! I love both of your websites, phil, I recently looked up a short story on yours and noticed how nice it looked, I think you made some recent changes to it. Very dynamic and informative as yours is too Nard, those pictures would never have seen the light of day or other eyes without your diligent work to retrieve them, amazing. Your artwork is first rate too. phil, the bbc film looks very good, is it obtainable? Anyway, thank you both, the love of Bradbury shines brightly through your websites!

Nard, the other day at work, a 1930 copy of Moby Dick illustrated by Rockwell Kent was in the garbage and I spied it. I picked it up and it was in sad shape with a busted spine and some mold on the inside cover. I put it on my stash shelf at work and later when I was leaving found it in the trash again. They are very diligent about keeping moldy books away from the other books and a manager took it off my shelf and tossed it again. I gave this same book to a friend of mine for doing a favor for me. Anyway, I re-retrieved it and brought it home where I carefully cleaned the mold off with a light solution of bleach water. I treasure it now and it has rejoined my bookshelf where I keep my favorites, among all my Bradbury books.

p.s. I love my job!

Rocket,
Believe it or not Lysol works well in killing mold and mildew plus is less caustic than bleach.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket: Thanks for the kind words. That 1930 copy showing up is one of those things that make you think of how life jig-saw puzzles itself together after awhile. Yes, the copy you sent is also a 1930.

Phil: What great pix from the film clips. Wow. Brings me back. I remember that elevator, that office well. The girl that photographed Ray...in the photo above (that day with the bike) was Christine Rose. I don't know what happened to her. There was a photo she took with my young self standing by the bike, but wasn't able to get a copy. Ray just happened to have the bike sitting there in his office for awhile, I supposed, and the air ran out of the tires.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your right Nard, sometimes it seems so orchestrated, makes you wonder! Thanks John, I will try that. By the way, today at work I had some down time and I picked up October Country and perused it. That beginning intro always chills me a little. I decided to read The Emissary and in the first few sentences is the reference to farewell summer, the plant. I thought it interesting. It's almost time to read Ray's scary stuff, yes I am excited as always with my, along with many others here, favorite holiday.