Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Heretofore Unseen Ray Bradbury Photos
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heretofore Unseen Ray Bradbury Photos
 Login/Join

posted
============
Hope to add more as time goes on...but here are some dozen + unpublished photos from Ray Bradbury's collection.

Go to the 'BRADBURY' page located in the 'green stripe' area on my website noted below. Then go to the last item in the Bradbury listings on that page, which reads 'RAY BRADBURY PERSONAL PHOTOS''. Click on that.

http://www.catchaway.com

=======================

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a great group of photos. Ray probably even has more hidden away in that magnificiant basement of his, or perhaps on a closet shelf.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, your site is great and I loved seeing those old photos, some of which I haven't seen in years.

Alexandra

Posts: 12 | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

beautiful work, and an excellent site. Remember that post (it's around here somewhere) where we started listing all the famous people Ray knows? Clearly, there are some names to be added! (Leiber, Brown, Tomlin, Fellini etc).

In your own Bradbury photos - the ones around his parents' home - there is one of a plate on the sidewalk. I think this has been discussed on here before, but isn't there a Bradbury story that mentions (or hinges upon) those plates? Can you remember what it is? (Or am I just going crazy?)(Don't answer that!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing those great photos, Nard. I enjoyed all of them, but I especially liked getting a glimpse of his aunt and uncle, whom I've heard so much about over the years. Where did you get these great photos?

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those were wonderful photos, Nard! Thanks for posting them. And your newly designed site looks great!

Posts: 2450 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Witchypoo:
Thanks for your input. Arn't old photos just the best! There is always vast history in those images and one can spend hours discussing them with those familiar with who is in the photos, what was happening at the time, and what has now become of it all.

philnic:
Not familiar with the particulars you mentioned. I'll say this...that the sidewalk has been replaced in last few years and that cement-badge no doubt went right into the dump truck. Wow. What a 'priceless' item to loose.

lmskipper:
Ray was kind enough to share those photos with all.

Richard:
Thanks for your compliment. Hope to improve the site as the weeks go by. Your ideas welcomed.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, good shot of you and Sam.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thank You!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only Bradbury story I can think of with engraving on a sidewalk is "Let's Play 'Poison'".

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:
All the original sidewalks around Ray's old homes of his family were there to just a few years ago when the city probably decided to put in new public sidewalks.

NEWS:
Check out the Movie Event at the revamped 2000 seat Genese Theater in Waukegan, Illinois on August 19th, 2006! The Waukegan Mayor will be there, film interviews with Ray will be shown, followed by the movie of 'Fahrenheit 451' using the only 35mm print that Universal Studios has available. Check out their website:
http://www.geneseetheatre.com

posted Hide Post
"Let's Play Poison" is the story I was thinking of; thanks, dandelion. Re-reading the story, I see that Bradbury simply describes the names of the men who mixed the cement being written on the sidewalk (he doesn't specifically mention metal stampings of the type Nard's phot shows).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that anyone tearing up an old sidewalk with such a metal marker like that embedded in the concrete would be crazy to discard it. How much would it bring on eBay or be worth to a collector?

And, if there were any way to check, I'd bet that someone had that piece of metal somewhere.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1:
I don't think anyone tried to fish out the metal plaque from the cement rubble. I'll tell you why. It likely happened when no particular Bradbury afficianado happened to be on the scene. Secondly, the people that bought Ray's old family home a few months back likely didn't even know the history of the owner. I do know this for certain: the Real Estate agent who sold the property, a Tomas Gomez (yeah, just like the name in one of Rays stories)...had no idea whatsoever who used to own the home. I asked him. So there!

posted Hide Post
Whoa...that's bad.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post