Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Open request to Dandelion, philnic, Mr. Dark or Doug Spaulding
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open request to Dandelion, philnic, Mr. Dark or Doug Spaulding
 Login/Join

posted
I hope this doesn't sound bad, but....

I saw Ray years ago in Chicago for a signing. I *think* it was around the time of Quicker than the Eye or Driving Blind. Anyway, I was able to get a new (later printing) of the black collection "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" (1980) signed by Ray. Anyway, this specific volume has always been important to me for many reasons. I plan to keep this signed one for my oldest son. My wife and I are expecting our third (and final, or so my wife tells me) Wink child in the fall. I would dearly love to have a signed copy for each of the other two children.

Anyway, long story "slightly" shorter...I would dearly love to be able to obtain 2 more copies of this title in new condition (I don't care about print number) if someone who does see Ray could consider doing me a HUGE favor and get them signed for me. I would appreciate it beyond words. I have several signed limiteds of Mr. Bradbury's works, but "The Stories of Ray Bradbury" has so much more meaning for me.

I intend no offense to anyone else on this board, but I only address this item to Dandelion, philnic, Mr. Dark and Doug Spaulding because they seem honest and legit. I don't want to just buy them online due to the odds of the signature being fake.

If any of you can/will help me with the signing aspect, please let me know. I would of course pay all shipping costs and book costs if I don't obtain the volumes myself. Also, if you want something for the effort, that would make sense too. If nobody wants to, I certainly understand. Everybody is busy these days and I don't know anyone here personally, but I thought I would try anyway.

Thanks either way.

Brad

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bsaenz24:
I intend no offense to anyone else on this board, but I only address this item to Dandelion, philnic, Mr. Dark and Doug Spaulding because they seem honest and legit.

Hear that? I seem honest and legit! Ha-ha!

Brad, I appreciate your summing me up as such, and you are quite right! However, the four personages you have selected live nowhere near Mr B (although I can vouch for their character). Otherwise, I would have you send me the books, and I would have him sign them and send them back to you. I have done this several times before for others, as I used to live a stone's throw from him.

Perhaps other board members who do live in the neighbourhood might take you up on your proposal - they're a pretty good bunch of folks here.

Personage is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great ides--to have books signed by Ray for your kids! I live in North Texas and Ray is in Los Angeles, so I'm not in proximity. I think it's a great idea, though. Thanks, also, for the compliment. Smiler

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for viewing me as honest and legit, but neither dandelion nor Mr. Dark see Ray on anything like a regular basis. If I were you, I WOULDN'T mail it to Ray--there have been incidents. Can't speak for him, but Nard Kordell seems your best bet.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the other estimable folks nominated here, I am flattered, but geographically challenged...living, as I do, on a different continent to Mr B.

I would have no hesitation in suggesting jkt as your best bet. jkt is (as I frequently tell him) as gentleman and a scholar, frequently helps Ray at public appearances - and is known for his bookselling connections (not to mention prowess).

jkt, are you there? (Sorry to drop you in it!)

bsaenz24, if there is anything else I can do for you, I'm willing. It's just that this isn't something I could directly help with.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time and circumstances do not allow me to step up to the cricket bat at this time. Sorry.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks anyway all. Who knows, maybe it will work out somehow. Worst case, the kids can share!!! Kids love sharing, right?? Wink

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd chime in here... I really don't think that you have too much to worry about, as far as whether a signed copy you would buy on-line would be a forgery. Signed copies of Bradbury's works are quite common and readily available, and I don't think there's a glut of forgeries out there.

That being said, a signed copy of this particular volume will cost a bit; a search of the ABE bookseller site shows a number of autographed copies available, but I think you'll have to pay a minimum of $50 for a signed copy.

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good points octobercountry. It has been said that an UNsigned Bradbury is rarer than a signed one!

Something else bsaenz24 could try is: keep an eye out for upcoming signings (see the other thread dedicated to this topic), and if one of them is to take place in a bookstore, contact the store and ask if you can pre-order a signed copy.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I have NOT heard of any horror storied regarding sending Ray books to sign as I just recently mailed three books (slender they were) in a Priotity Mail letter size cardboard mailer with a stamped and addressed return envelope inside with the books and some photos for Ray.

Thankfully, all three books arrived back, signed by Ray, and in good shape. But, with the volume of mail he receives each week, it might get scary, but I am sure that someone is helping him to keep mail straight and to work with him on his signing at his home.

I think that it is so fantastic that his health and mind appears to be in great shape and that he is enjoying himself and his fans to a great extent.

Thank heavens for JKT and Nard for their closeness and ability to assist Ray with appearances and other activities.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Good points octobercountry. It has been said that an UNsigned Bradbury is rarer than a signed one!

True!

I submit this recent exchange between Bill Nolan and GCJ:

Bill: I once found an unsigned Bradbury in a book store...
George: I'll give you a billion dollars for it!
Bill: ...and as I was making my way to the register, Ray jumped out of the stacks and signed it for me.

Those who didn't chuckle don't know how close to the truth this is!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This site says that most of the people that come to this Bradbury site are girls, specifically teenage girls. So what do we have here? A teenie=bopper fan site? No wonder the conversations fall off the edge at times.

http://www.quantcast.com/raybradburyboard.com

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salamander:
This site says that most of the people that come to this Bradbury site are girls, specifically teenage girls.

Well, Bradbury is a rock star!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Salamander was, like, "This site says that most of the people that come to this Bradbury site are girls, specifically teenage girls."

And I was, like, "Whatever".

Seriously, though, how could they possibly know the demographics of the visitors to this site?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

And I was, like, "Whatever".

Seriously, though, how could they possibly know the demographics of the visitors to this site?

Hey! In America "Whatever" is usually what teenage girls say when caught in a difficult to answer situation.

Seriously, the internet knows eeevvvrryything.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post