Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Open request to Dandelion, philnic, Mr. Dark or Doug Spaulding
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Open request to Dandelion, philnic, Mr. Dark or Doug Spaulding
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:

Seriously, though, how could they possibly know the demographics of the visitors to this site?

It does say it's a "rough estimate".

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Hey! In America "Whatever" is usually what teenage girls say when caught in a difficult to answer situation.

Seriously, the internet knows eeevvvrryything.

In the UK they say, "Am I bovvered?"

Of course, the internet knows everything! That explains it!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Salamander was, like, "This site says that most of the people that come to this Bradbury site are girls, specifically teenage girls."

And I was, like, "Whatever".

Seriously, though, how could they possibly know the demographics of the visitors to this site?

They couldn't, unless every single person gave personal information in their membership profile and they viewed every one of them. A lot of one or two-time visitors are kids with homework assignments. Maybe I'll finish my project of deleting insincere members someday.

I do know of two horror stories of mailing books directly to Ray which occurred to members on this site. Something Ray said regarding one of these implied that he handles a lot of this himself.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think there must be some inconsistencies. I have never received a card from Ray, in spite of sending cards, etc., frequently; but I know others have. So it's hard to predict.

I know that Ray is extremely generous and that he has said numerous times that it goes back to how much it meant to him when he was a kid and celebrities took the time to provide autographs for him. He's just a decent guy who is paying forward.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
I do know of two horror stories of mailing books directly to Ray which occurred to members on this site. Something Ray said regarding one of these implied that he handles a lot of this himself.

So are you going to tell us?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not, but someone sent Ray a box of books to sign with a self-addressed, stamped box with full postage inside the outer box. Ray wrote the person back saying they hadn't sent postage. They replied they had. He sent the books back, signed, in another box. Not only was the self-addressed, stamped box missing, but so was one of the books! This was a full-length hardcover! It seems impossible for even a blind person to mistake a box with a book of this size as empty, but Ray said the box and the book were thrown out, it was "a shame" and he "can't see worth a damn." They have certainly never turned up.

The other person had excellent luck with a cheap paperback, but priceless hardcovers suffered damage.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, thanks.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not, but someone sent Ray a box of books to sign with a self-addressed, stamped box with full postage inside the outer box. Ray wrote the person back saying they hadn't sent postage. They replied they had. He sent the books back, signed, in another box. Not only was the self-addressed, stamped box missing, but so was one of the books! This was a full-length hardcover! It seems impossible for even a blind person to mistake a box with a book of this size as empty, but Ray said the box and the book were thrown out, it was "a shame" and he "can't see worth a damn." They have certainly never turned up.

The other person had excellent luck with a cheap paperback, but priceless hardcovers suffered damage.

For what it is worth, in the early days of my book collecting I sent Ray books with the return postage in the shipping box and I was told , after a while, that I had not included the postage and no more would be forthcoming, cease and desist. I did. It is wonderful that so nice a person as Ray would take the time to do little favors for his fans when he needs not the bother and trouble this all must be for him. He radiates in the glow of the admiration from his fans and that is his best paycheck, these days.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post