Ray Bradbury Forums
Mars

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/4441038901

04 March 2004, 11:28 AM
Richard
Mars
Dandelion, Nard is correct. The link orginally included in Mr. Smith's MARS EXPRESS posting above took you to a soft core shot of a nude woman. It appears now to have been replaced by a picture of Mars. I agree with Nard that Mr. Smith should be shown the way to the exit, and that future postings by him on this message board be deleted.

Nard, I believe all Smith had to do was replace the photo to which the link took you. The link itself in the posting did not have to be changed.
04 March 2004, 12:34 PM
fjpalumbo
(RE: my previous post from "Catching the Jerk" !!)

NK: Sad.
No matter what one's views are (and we have had many here), the site that JRS attached to his last post is troublesome. It reflects a spiritless and absolutely lost character. This a Ray Bradbury site, not a get even or personal venting venue.
This entry was totally irresponsible and told far more than the writer's often "craftily" selected words.
Classless...
04 March 2004, 01:32 PM
dandelion
If the site is his, I guess he changed the picture rather than the link, because I looked in vain for any nude anatomy in that picture.
04 March 2004, 01:37 PM
James Robert Smith
European Space Agency photo.

Actually, the first one is from the Hubble. This is the one from ESA with the vague greens and blues.
http://www.esa.int/export/externals/images/ob_22_reull_v.jpg
04 March 2004, 02:14 PM
Translator
I haven't seen it either (should I be happy or sad about that?).
I'll try to take some photos of Mars here from my University and I'll post them up for all to see.
Cheers,
Translator
13 August 2007, 06:48 PM
Nard Kordell
This ALMOST sounds like a Bradbury script. But Ray doesn't talk about beer much at all, especially on Mars.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UEqufTJzxGo
14 August 2007, 12:41 AM
philnic
Neat clip! I like live TV drama.

Nard, isn't there some drinking in "And the Moon Be Still As Bright"?

After a little detective work, I have deduced that the YouTube clip is from an episode of Tales of Tomorrow called "Appointment on Mars", written by someone named S.A.Lombino.

According to some sources, two Bradbury stories were bought for Tales of Tomorrow (Zero Hour and Marionettes Inc), but neither of them was filmed - as far as I can tell from the published episode guides for the series.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
14 August 2007, 09:14 AM
Nard Kordell
Phil: Yes, there was drinking on Mars. Was "And the Moon..." the place it happened? I'll have to dig up an old copy of The Martian Chronicles and see who were the ones throwing beer cans into the Martian canals.

It seems YOUTUBE is getting to the point where many of the old TV programs can be found. And once the perfected nanoscreens are ready for commercial marketing, these old computer screens will fall way to old vinyl records and VHS tapes.

Oh, yes, as to "Appointment on Mars" writer S.A. Lombino... That was the real name of this here guy:
(also known as mystery writer Ed McBain!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Hunter
14 August 2007, 10:36 AM
Braling II
I submit the "drinking on Mars" story is "The Blue Bottle"!
15 August 2007, 12:50 AM
philnic
Nard, that's amazing! That Lombino was Evan Hunter/Ed McBain, I mean. I was assuming that Lombino was a nobody, but it seems that around that time he was about to become SOMEbody.

I've never read any McBain stuff, but I know Hunter from Hitchcock's films The Birds and Marnie. (Hunter wrote one of the shortest books in history about his time working for Hitchcock.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
15 August 2007, 12:51 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
I submit the "drinking on Mars" story is "The Blue Bottle"!

I'll drink to that!

- Phil

14 July 2009, 01:47 PM
Doug Spaulding
A trip to Mars?

"Live Forever!"
14 July 2009, 05:26 PM
Braling II
Wow.
Ayear-and-a-half to get to Mars and back?

Imagine that trip! And then having to deal with Mr. Iii!
14 July 2009, 06:38 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Wow. A year-and-a-half to get to Mars and back?

Imagine that trip!

You'd definitely have to remember to take a book.

"Live Forever!"
14 July 2009, 07:18 PM
philnic
quote:
Wow.
Ayear-and-a-half to get to Mars and back?

Imagine that trip! And then having to deal with Mr. Iii!

And then a 20-minute radio delay:

Caller from Earth: Could I speak to Mr Iii, please?

20-minute pause.

Mrs Iii: He's on the other line. Would you like to hold?

20-minute pause.

Caller from Earth: No, just tell him I called...

- Phil