Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Big Fish
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Fish
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone seen the movie Big Fish yet? I just saw it a couple nights ago. If you haven't seen it yet, GO AND SEE IT! It is a wonderful story, very touching, beautiful cinematography, just an all around great movie and I'm sure that it would appeal to many of you here for the very same reasons that you are here to begin with. I won't say any more, because I don't wish to kill it by over-hyping it.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I both saw it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cinematography was pretty cool, and I thought the actors all did great work. I liked it enough that I bought the book and am looking forward to reading that. We both have recommended it to others.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard from a friend who has not yet seen the movie that the book is just excellent. I too look forward to reading the book.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hasn't came out here yet. Opens nationally tomorrow.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We watched Big Fish this weekend, finally! If you have not yet seen it, you may be pleasantly surprise. A good balance of realism, fantasy, drama, screen imagery, and nostalgia. I kept thinking about Dandelion Wine adapted for the big screen (a long debated topic here.)

It could be done as proof by this movie. If you have had an experience within your family similar to the conflict in this story, you will be refreshed by the outcome. The recurrent RB theme of "pass it on" comes blasting through in the end (I am not giving anything away in saying so).

Many anecdotal scenes, a wide range of characters, and countless settings but it worked well and the plot was not lost.
Take a quick look (and maybe a later viewing) and see if you don't agree: http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/bigfish/

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I absolutely loved Big Fish and am even considering buying the dvd. I felt it was very Bradburyesque, one of the main reasons I loved it!

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rented the 'dvd' last night, for a first showing.

Albert Finney is a great actor, remember him well from the movie, 'Tom Jones' way back in the 60's.

Yes... a Bradbury flavor in the movie. It also has one of my favorite cars, the Dodge Charger. That one was a 1967, tho a prefer the 1966, since it had concealed headlamps and a slightly different side window design. (Oh, I must digress!) And it came with a Hemi engine (oh brother, is this thing powerful!!!)...and one in mint shape today goes for a sizable fortune...

Continuing....
The last scene, of Finney being carried... is thoroughly Bradbury.... What's the story with the giant? I'm led to believe that he was for real, and not made up....Could this be the same fellow, with makeup, that was in Billy Crystal's movie, 'My Giant'?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, That Charger was a gem! Other power wonders of the time the Baracuda and the GTO!
See below!
Next time you speak with Mr. B, coax him into a conversation dealing with the making of DW for the movie theater. (I wonder if he has seen BF?)
A bit of nostalgia for some of us~ http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/9048/ http://www.gtoalley.com/67gto.html http://www.440magnum-network.com/emailed/2001/apr01/1967plybarracuda.shtml

And my first car as an 18yr old:
a candy apple red Cutlass, wow! http://www.musclecar-logbook.net/GMC/newpage223.htm

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-19-2004).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalu,bo:

Oh no! Another car nut.
My ultimate favorite ? The 1963 Studebaker Avanti
But check out the new 2004 Avanti model... http://www.avantimotors.com

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 05-19-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Fiat man right here. Maybe a Wolga. But I don't drive. Can't read while driving - I take the bus instead. It's like being chaffeured.
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
translator:

Isn't Wolga' a river...?

Had two Fiats...both would break down more often than they would run...
But I liked the designs...until I cracked up the Lancia Zagato on the 5 Freeway in LA. (Lancia was the founding father of Fiat). The other, an HPE, was totaled while I was standing at a light also in LA. Just goes to show you. Traffic is that bad... http://www.automobile-sportive.com/guide/lancia/betahpe.php?essai=128

(How did we get onto the car subject?)

posted Hide Post
All,
My first (and current) car is a '74 Plymouth Valiant, which is great fun, perfect for drive-ins, etc. Only problem is it gets like 9 mi. to the gallon. That's not cheap these days! I carpool to school.

Translator,
It is a bit like being chauffered, except that you have to walk at least a mile to and from any bus stop, switch busses several times per trip, allow about three hours bus trip to ensure you get there on time, and get home by 11:30 or don't get home at all! Sorry, not meant as an insult, just too many years of having to bus it around southern Cali. If it wasn't for my headphones I would be ENTIRELY insane (as opposed to partially, of course).
Cheers, Groon!

P.S. If you are partially insane, does that mean you are insane and you enjoy it?

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 05-19-2004).]

posted Hide Post
Doesn't Fiat stand for "Fix It Again Tony"?

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother and I had a joke about Fiat. In Latin the word fiat means something like "it will become." So we said if you were to drive a Fiat Spider, (it will become a spider) you could be driving down the road, at any given moment it might just turn into a spider.

posted Hide Post
Well, Lancia did work for Fiat, that's true. I can still remember back to '88 Poland when the Fiat 125p was a beauty to behold. The 126p had something like 35 horsepower, while the 125 and 124 had a bit more, and were sedans. But I'm talking about the sport topless Fiats that are out there - absolutely nothing beats their grace and aesthetic appeal.
As for the Wolga (or Volga, if one prefers - it's Wolga in Polish), here is a link.
Also would like to add a Trabant, a Syrenka (Syrena), a Warszawa, or a Wartburg. All are classics, and all were great cars (perhaps not mechanically-wise) in their times.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1287102

Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post