Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Editors

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Editors
 Login/Join

posted
I've noticed RB had stories published in many different magazines and mags of diverse appeal. Did RB like John Cambell at ASTOUNDING/ANALOG? Was there any Editor he preferred over others?

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
grasssatins, in a much earlier thread dealing with Ray's short story, "Doodad" (his first sale to John Campbell), I noted the following about Ray's relationship with John Campbell, which I am repeating here:

In his introduction to "Doodad" in the anthology STRANGE SIGNPOSTS, the editor, noted fan and professional writer Sam Moskowitz, writes that "there was a time when [Ray's] greatest objective was to sell to a magazine known as ASTOUNDING SCIENCE FICTION, the field leader at the time, whose editor John W. Campbell steadfastly resisted Bradbury's literary blandishments." Ray finally sold "Doodad" to Campbell, and the story appeared in ASTOUNDING's September, 1943 issue.

I asked Ray about this event and he said, yes, he repeatedly submitted stories to Campbell for possible publication, and his stories were always being rejected until he finally sold him "Doodad." Ray also laughed and jokingly said, "I think he [Campbell] bought the story just to get rid of me!"

Posts: 2445 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Richard, that really explains Ray's lack of contributions to Astounding. Mr. Cambell definately had his own idea as to what science fiction should be and "his" authors had to meet that criteria.

But, did Ray have a favorite editor or a magazine he preferred to appear in?

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may be wrong, but I would bet it would have been any magazine that was willing to pay money for the stories.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray liked Campbell personally, but never had much success selling to him. As Asimov once said, Ray Bradbury was the most successful SF writer who was not a Campbell acolyte. The bottom line, I believe, is that Ray's stories were scientifically flawed and this was a problem for Campbell. Asimov, Heinlein and Clarke (the Big 3, as it were) were more rooted in hard science. Ray Bradbury, in my opinion, was and is more rooted in humanity. And this is why he's the best of them all.

As for Ray's favorite editors....he's had many over the years. Detective pulp editor Ryerson Johnson bought his stories and encouraged him even when the other pulps had grown weary of his singularly human tales of the fantastic.

Martha Foley, editor of the Best American Short Stories of the year collection, tapped Ray four times for her well-respected anthologies. She became a good freind.

Ray's best relationships with editors were often his book editors. Walter Bradbury at Doubleday, who, as we all know, was not a relative, but fostered Ray and played a huge role in the genesis of The Martian Chronicles as well as The Illustrated Man and others. Walter Bradbury was patient and caring with Ray.

Of course, one cannot overstate the editorial influence of Ray's longtime agent, Don Congdon, who has always been given first crack at Ray's work. Congdon has always remained honest and, as Ray says, "he has never been wrong."

Ray loves his current editor, Jennifer Brehl, who has heroically brought so much of his canon back into print. She was also responsible for Ray finally completing 2000's "From the Dust Returned."

And, of course, there was Ray's wife, Maggie. She was always one of the early editors in Ray's inner-circle to lend advice.

Does this help?

Cheers,

SW

[This message has been edited by Sam Weller (edited 03-12-2004).]

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Weller, it is always such a pleasure to find your first hand insights in these posts. Your knowledge of the works and relationships with the people really make for very special reading.

Thank you, and I am sure others would echo, visit more often!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto. I know you're very busy (and we're all anxious to see the output of at least part of your work!), but we appreciate your insights here.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post