Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Roll Call.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roll Call.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
WOW!

That's the really cool. I just got hip to what you guys are talking about. There's two message boards; this one from our favorites, and the new one from entering thru the homepage (www.raybradbury.com). I think I'm gonna continue coming here.

How's dandelion going to moderate both boards?
How long will this one remain "alive"?

Hello Menes, good to see you again.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I don't see how Dandelion is even going to log in to the new board, at least as Dandelion! It demands you use an email address as your ID, then puts you through the ringer to join! I wasn't able to get in--how are other people using their own IDs there? Also, NO IDEA if I have moderating capabilities on the new board, and as I've said numerous times, the powers that be have been incommunicado with me! Anyhow, popping in here to say hi until things are figured out!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh my - now I first realised there are two boards... and I thought there could be only one...

I also had difficulties in logging in under my old nickname. But some users managed it, like Mr. Dark and Nard Kordell - how did you do it?

Hi grasstains, good to see you again, too. I remember that thread of yours about astronomical events - have you heard of the new VSLT telescope they built at NASA? - There will be a conference tonight. I'm very excited to hear if it really can give us new insights by catching these varying-speed-of-light particles...

Posts: 62 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, it seems the login on the new board is of no use to some people, me included. You'll have to go through the whole ordeal of confirming your email address, then go to www.infopop.com, log in there, then go to the new board.

When it asks you if you have an account here (at the old board), it will let you fill in your existing handle and password, confirm, and it will connect your old account with the new board. If you don't check to disconnect your account here at the old board, you will retain both.

As for "how long with two boards." Perhaps it is simply waiting till all "current contributors" (those who posted within a certain time before this board went offline for er, um, "improvements,") have logged in to the new board, then will remove this one? JUST IN CASE, I would recommend SAVING any posts of substance made here at the old board since it went back up and post them at the new board when you're all logged in. We shall see....

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I'd like to do is contact everybody (except for a few we DON'T want following who we have a pretty good idea who they are) and invite them to the new board with instructions as to how to do so. Trouble is, I don't see anything here indicating even how many registered users are on this board, let alone a list, and I balk at searching through every thread and clicking on each individual profile to get every user's email address. Ideas, anyone?

posted Hide Post
Okay, I tried to post this on a forum on Infopop's Message Boards, but since my language is supposedly so abusive it awaits their approval. Thought I'd pass it on for the edification of others.

It's somehow terribly appropriate that this is all happening on April Fool's Day, as I've spent most of it in the Twilight Zone here.

Here's what happened to me. I came to the website of this company, which administers a message board (two, actually, but we'll get to that) near and dear to me, and tried to post my concerns on Feedback. It wouldn't go through. I tried to post a Support form. It wouldn't go through, my computer froze up, and I nearly lost my post!

I went to a forum on the site's message boards, where a heading implied that the person who posted it was experiencing my same problem, so I left my post, which I had barely managed to retrieve, there. I got a snippy response saying my language was abusive and my post removed. There were NO swear words in my post, and no language I would, as a moderator, edit or delete. I wrote a reply asking well, what am I supposed to do about my problem? I received a reply saying I hadn't addressed a real person--a robot was answering. (At least two "Twilight Zone" episodes spring to mind instantly, possibly more.)

Notice I haven't even described the PROBLEM yet! Just the problems trying to address the problem! So I came back to the forums here at this site, found the place where I'd posted before, and it turns out the person there was trying to do the OPPOSITE of what was AUTOMATICALLY done to me and was told she COULDN'T DO IT!

Here's where "Star Trek" enters the picture. Remember when the transporter malfunctioned and Captain Kirk was split into two identical-appearing entities--a "good, but weak" one and an "evil, but strong" one? Well, that's EXACTLY what happened to the message board I've frequented for four years and moderated most of that time! Appropriately enough, it's the message board for the official Ray Bradbury website!

For years the faithful members there were complaining about problems related to not enough memory on the board. (I have another concern related to that but am not bothering to type out a description of another problem till I see if these more pressing issues are addressed.)

A few weeks ago, the board abruptly disappeared! (Cue "Twilight Zone" music.) Needless to say, we were more than a little concerned as we had about 30,000 posts there!

The board then miraculously reappeared, seemingly exactly the same, but with more memory, minus the freezing and other problems. Those of us accessing it through the old link, still in our Favorites folders, were obliviously happy. Little did we suspect, let alone know, until informed by our friends, that a PARALLEL UNIVERSE had been created!

Yes, the "split" effectively ruptured some vital connection in the time/space continuum, creating an entirely "new and improved" version of the board which is now accessed through www.raybradbury.com!!! All of the old messages up until the "split" are preserved there. The old board also still exists, accessible through the old link but NOT THROUGH THE SITE, and all of the old posts exist there, too, EXCEPT

(hideous scream of revelation)

SINCE THE SPLIT created by the appearance of the new board, all posts on the old board DON'T appear on the new one, and all posts on the new one DON'T appear on the old one!

YES, THE BOARD HAS BEEN CLONED! IT HAS BECOME TWO ENTITIES LEADING SEPARATE LIVES!

Now, all I can think of is to contact every member who hasn't accessed this Brave New World, request that they join the new board, with instructions to do so, and hope that once everyone has, all will be made right and the old board will simply disappear. (Since I haven't the slightest idea how to access all their profiles at once, this will mean contacting 2,500 or so entities individually--a daunting task!)

What I want to know is, will the old board disappear either
1. When all active original members have joined the new one?
2. After a set date or time, and if so, when?
Or 3. Will they continue to exist as separate entities throughout all eternity, or at least the life of the internet, whichever comes first?

Someday years from now when everyone is hanging out on the new board, will some lost and tormented soul come staggering onto the old one and ask, in the immortal words of the first episode of "Twilight Zone" (which, by the way, Ray Bradbury insists to this very day was ripped off from a story of his),
"WHERE IS EVERYBODY?"

Here my problem enters another dimension. I moderated on the old board for years as I had been given capabilities to do so, which I presumably still have...THERE. I haven't tried to moderate anything on the new board as I've spent all my online time so far today sorting through these mystical enigmas!

To go into "Star Trek" terminology again, the old board is the "good, weak" one, and the new board is the "evil, strong" one. Remember how the "good" half of Kirk couldn't make decisions? As of now I have no idea whether I'll be able to moderate on the new board! Almost afraid to try! If I could get at least a RESPONSE here maybe we could WORK with whatever's going on!

So my question is firstly, has this phenomena been observed on any other board which has been "improved" by Infopop by way of Groupee? Or could this happen only on a Ray Bradbury board?

posted Hide Post
First of all, abusive language? What on earth are they talking about? Secondly, I am so confused by this whole thing, I am at a total loss. Which board am I on? The new one or the old one? And whichever one I am on, how do I get to the other one? When I go to raybradbury.com, it won't let me get onto the board. Am I doing something wrong? I am hopelessly lost!!

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 04-01-2005).]

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to the main page of www.raybradbury.com, and from there to the Message Board. THAT is the new board. The little gatekeeper guard guy will ask if you have a Groupee account, which you will have to register for giving your email address and a password (I would advise the same one you use here.) You will then have to go to the email account for which you gave your address and click on a link to verify your email address. Then go back to the new board and try to log in. (If it doesn't work, go to www.infopop.com and create your new Groupee user account there.)

It will ask other information, including your birthdate. BE ADVISED, these guys are NOT Big Brother! You DON'T have to tell them the truth and they won't know the difference if you do, so please don't be put off by being asked your birthdate! They only want to know your general age, not your actual exact date of birth, so just pick one you like and tell them that! That's what I did and was not corrected!

At this point, you will be able to select a username and password. If you use the SAME ones you use here, when you go to the new board it will ask if you have an account on the old board. Say yes and it will transfer the information from your account on the old board to your account on the new board. (You also have the option of discontinuing your account on the old board, which I would not advise.) Complicated but far from impossible!

posted Hide Post
Is anyone out there?

I am a bit non-plussed with the NEW site! It seems to have stolen the spirit of what we had before. The water has been drained out of the Ravine. The Illustrated Man's artwork has been washed away in a Long Rain. The lions on the Veldt are only stand up posters. Or am I the only one who is seeing it this way?

What happens when a crazed graffiti artist arrives and the can explodes, emitting whatever slams and slurs an un"Moderator"ed site can do nothing about? Sounds like we have all arrived at The City of future.

Yes, I know, it's quicker, shinier, has more gadgets, is as powerful as a locomotive, and comes in a variety of colors....but what has it really improved? Did you see the movie "Robots?"

If this friendly site is remaining active, can we somehow keep the plug in and link to it for others somehow to revisit?

Just some thoughts after a few perusals of the parallel universe.

--------------
On the personal info being out there for all to view - I keep getting the feeling of a lone Pedestrian walking, just walking...

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 04-04-2005).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Menes said:

"Hi grasstains, good to see you again, too. I remember that thread of yours about astronomical events - have you heard of the new VSLT telescope they built at NASA? - There will be a conference tonight. I'm very excited to hear if it really can give us new insights by catching these varying-speed-of-light particles..."

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this. I've been ridding my computer of a nasty virus and dealing with other, more important, issues.

I have not been keeping up with any of the latest developments in science over the past two months or so. I've been going thru a nasty custody battle, court dates, the ensuing transition, counseling and tutoring for the kids, doctor appointments, trying to get copies of their immunization records, parent/teacher conferences all with little or no help or participation from Ex-Spouse (Bi-polar druggy) and holding down two part-time jobs. Add to that, problems with Mom and siblings (alzheimer's) and mounting legal/attorney fees, now I'm thinking I may need some sort of counseling. Sleep is now a luxury. Things are as they are and I am a part of them. I've heard it's the things we DIDN'T do which we regret when looking back on our lives, so I'm trying to be pro-active in all these matters which is against my pacifist nature and is taxing my resolve. A whole lotta changes.

And what about you, Menes? What have you been doing? Why the hiatus?

======================================================================

I didn't think about the fact that new people won't be able to find their way into here. What can be done about that?

I tried to register at the new site, but couldn't. I may have to think of another name and start from scratch. Maybe just putting a capitol "G" on "Grasstains"? I don't like it, "grasstains" is much cuter and the other seems kind of pompous.

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 04-05-2005).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geez, you blink and everything changes. Do I actually exist here, or am I merely a phantom of another reality?

This morning, I was able to sign in/register/whatever with the eve system (Hal's evil twin sister??) I was bounced out 3x while trying to read the posts, and kept having to come all the way back in from my desktop.

To my knowledge, the address of *this* web location has not been posted on the new eve site. But, this area might be gone soon. I wonder if this will post both places at once.

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry about all your troubles, grasstains. I did post instructions on how to sign up on the new board. I tried being "Dandelion" on the new board and it wouldn't let me. As I'm stuck with the lowercase "d" for all eternity, it's good someone considers the uppercase pompous anyway.

posted Hide Post
I like this board better- now if I can just remember how I got here again.

Posts: 4 | Location: Bakersfield, CA | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am here and it is here where I shall remain.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I thought you were headed over to the other place, with Godspeed and all. Change your mind?

I'm glad you're here. Not that I was lonely or bored. I don't think a Bradburian can ever be lonely or bored. He's given us too much food for thought, happy places, scary places, and faraway places for us ever to be lonely or bored.

Welcome Back!