Ray Bradbury Forums
Bradbury's "Poem Written On A Train Just Leaving A Small Southern Town"

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/4337073895

19 March 2011, 08:44 AM
Linnl
Bradbury's "Poem Written On A Train Just Leaving A Small Southern Town"
This poem by Ray Bradbury is collected in THE HAUNTED COMPUTER AND THE ANDROID POPE, and THEY HAVE NOT SEEN THE STARS. "Druid" City is the spark of the poem's playful pondering of its origin and inhabitants. I reside in Tuscaloosa of which Druid City is a part, and wanted to share these photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/l...s/72157626175388823/

Thanks to my niece for the use of her camera.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,
20 March 2011, 12:21 PM
William Lantry
Ray read and discussed the origins of this poem when he was the special guest for the WRITING TODAY writers conference at Birmingham Southern College in March 1995. That was only his second trip to Alabama (the first, even though he was only passing through, was the train trip that inspired that poem).

I brought him back for a third (and probably final) time for my production of THE WORLD OF RAY BRADBURY in 2000.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury
20 March 2011, 04:41 PM
Linnl
William Lantry wrote:
quote:
Ray read and discussed the origins of this poem when he was the special guest for the WRITING TODAY writers conference at Birmingham Southern College in March 1995. That was only his second trip to Alabama (the first, even though he was only passing through, was the train trip that inspired that poem).

Thank You very much for the response, William Lantry. I was wondering what may have brought Mr. Bradbury through the first time around (during the 1970s?). Was supposing it was a lecture tour. But the 1995 Conference, I believe, coincides with the BOOKMARK TV interview UA Prof. Don Noble had with Ray Bradbury. Still have it on tape. Smiler

One other photo has been uploaded.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,
22 March 2011, 09:15 PM
William Lantry
Indeed it did! I was there in the room when they taped it.

Don did our writers festival at UNA a couple of years ago, and he said that was one of his all-time favorite interviews.

Terry Pace

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Brabdury
29 April 2011, 07:48 PM
Linnl
http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/.../NEWS/110429732/1291

Just got power back. My family members and I are good and safe. Its been scary.
30 April 2011, 02:27 AM
philnic
Welcome back, Linnl, and I'm glad to hear all are well.

I'm wondering about Terry Pace/William Lantry in Muscle Shoals, which must also be in the tornado zone.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
01 May 2011, 09:27 AM
William Lantry
Thanks, Phil! All is well here, and we're safe, sound and grateful to be alive. We seem to be surrounded by death and destruction on all sides (hundred-year-old oaks collapsed on top of two neighboring houses), but most of the deepest, darkest tragedy occurred just south of us in the small rural towns of Mount Hope, Phil Campbell and Hackleburg and down into Tuscaloosa. We were far more fortunate than most.

Terry Pace

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury