Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    old Bradbury fanzines

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

old Bradbury fanzines
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, does anyone know where I can obtain any original late 30's early 40's fanzines that have Bradbury stories? Can't find even a single issue of Futuria Fantasia anywhere.
Help!

Posts: 5 | Location: Rixeyville,VA,USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Futuria Fantasia" was privately published by Bradbury, so only subscribers (probably just a small circle of family and friends) would have it. In those pre-photocopying days, this was typed and mimeographed. William F. Nolan's "Ray Bradbury Companion" states that there were four issues, but does not give print run, or number of copies, of each issue. That is a good idea for a book, though--to reprint a facsimile of the entire contents of all four issues as a book by itself, maybe with added biographical material on each contributor! Many of the old pulps with uncollected, even unanthologized, Bradbury stories are up for sale on eBay. You can identify these by copying the list of "anthologized but not collected" stories under the "Complete Story Listings" thread, then check for each magazine issue. They go for at least $5-$10 apiece, sometimes more.

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 02-21-2002).]

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dandelion. I already printed the list that you gave another member and it will be most helpful. Is there another list of first appearances of stories? And you know of no one currently selling the old fanzines? I know there are none on abebooks.
Allen

Posts: 5 | Location: Rixeyville,VA,USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't *know* anything, but I would *guess* there are so few originals they've long since fallen into the hands of collectors. Selling copies (such as photocopies) would compromise the (admittedly limited) market if they did ever want to bring these out as a book. Of course, permission to use the material would have to be obtained from EVERY contributor or his estate...but they'd have to track those people down anyway to do the "followups." I'll ask Donn if this is among forthcoming projects.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than Ray himself the most likely individual to own copies of the four issues of the Futuria Fantasia fanzine is Forrest J. Ackerman, legendary collector and former editor of Famous Monsters Magazine. Forrest lives in LA and his house (known as the Ackermansion) is a veritable museum of sci-fi/horror/fantasy and movie memorobilia. In fact, he once owned a painting that was used as the cover of one of the Futuria Fantasia issues. Unfortunately, the painting was stolen, possibly by a visiting fan.

Forrest gives tours of his mansion on Saturdays (provided he is in town). For info about these tours, check:
http://4forry.best.vwh.net/office.htm

Christos

[This message has been edited by Christos (edited 03-08-2002).]

Posts: 15 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Christos, but Forry already sold his through Bob Madle a few years ago. Bob copied them before he sold them, and is going to let me copy his copies.
Allen