Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    �Help with Report�
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

�Help with Report�
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

My Name is Crystal.I need help with my Research Report.It is due on the next Friday.(the 25th)I have no clue what I am doing.
I need to have 4 different resources.
Here are some questions I must answer:
1. Where did you get your ideas for your stories?
2. What was your first published work?was it hard to get published?
3. From all your writing, who is your favorite of most fantastic character?
4. Which stories or parts of your stories are based on events that happened to you in real life?
5. What do you think of the movies that have been made based on your stories?
6. Your stories are considered classics.Did you expect that to happen?

If anybody has NAY info on this subject,PLEASE HELP!!!! Help me or it will be your fault that I failed!!!
Thankx,
�Crystal�

Posts: 3 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA 15239 | Registered: 16 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CrYsTaL::::

I'll answer #5::::::

The TV mini-series, The Martian Chronicles, was a mini-disaster...

Thumbs down with ... The Illustrated Man

Fahrenheit 451...left things to be desired

Ray was the best happy with Something Wicked This Way Comes...but thought they were only about 75% of what he wanted.

He really liked the animated, The Halloween Tree

He liked how Moby Dick (he wrote the screenplay for the movie)...turned out...but thought Gregory Peck was somewhat weak as Captain Ahab.

Many short films of his stories have been made...but have not heard or read an opinion of them by Bradbury.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll take #2. His first published piece was a poem, "In Memory to Will Rogers," which appeared in the newspaper in Waukegan on August 18, 1936. (Four days before his 16th birthday.) I'm not sure how difficult it was to get published in that he was living in Los Angeles at the time, but the poem appeared in the paper in his former home town, Waukegan. Perhaps he tried the Waukegan paper first, or perhaps he was rejected by the L. A. papers. His first paid publication came some years later. Regarding #5, his words in reference to "The Martian Chronicles" was he told them "it was boring" but they wouldn't listen, and of "The Illustrated Man," "I detested it." You can find some of these quotes, or others just as good, in interviews under the Articles link on this site.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion, now I want to read In "Memory to Will Rodgers." Is it in one of his collections?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
c R y S t A l::

You can probably get answers to 'all of your questions'..and more...by going to::

RAY'S LEGACY (this same Website)

...and scroll down to 'my' Posting of 9-14-2002 at 1:06AM, titled:

"Caltech Commencement Speech."

Good reading....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, "In Memory to Will Rogers" is not in any collection. I do have a copy, though. 32 lines. Here are the first 8:

In Memory to Will Rogers, by Ray Bradbury
Waukegan News-Sun, August 18, 1936

The man who jested through his life
And chased away all care and strife
The man whom we called, "Just plain Bill"
Our Ambassador of Good Will,
Has laid away his ink and pen
To see his maker once again.
No more the cheerful smile, the grin
That warmed a nation's heart within.

Posts: 7300 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If NE1 has the time...

Telephoned Waukegan News Sun...
per Ray's above mentioned poem on Will Rogers, and they said all their Archive Records are... in the Waukegan Library on 'Microfilm'!

I quickly went thru some stuff dated 1936, which can be found on this Website, under Resources... Look for Topic Title:

Waukegan Library 10-16-2002 10:15AM

Tho I didn't see anything, maybe another look by someone might find the poem if it's there...Otherwise...it's a physical, not a cyber, visit to the Waukegan Library ...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-18-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Thanks Dandelion for the excerpt from the Will Rodgers poem. Amazing that Ray B. was published so early. I'd like to see the rest of it, if possible. What's your source?

posted Hide Post
I wrote the Waukegan News-Sun and they sent me a typewritten photocopy. Though it is not a direct original copy, I assume it is accurate. Here are the next 12 lines:

No more the homely humor of
The simple man we grew to love,
Who won his way into our heart,
And now when time comes to part
No effort made to shield our tears
For our true friendship through the years.
Upon your tomb we place this wreath,
Upon your head we this bequeath,
That you will not forgotten be
You'll live throughout eternity
As monument to all mankind
To poor, to sick, to mute, and blind.

posted Hide Post
BRAVO! DANDELION!

Not thru the myriad routes of the Information Superhighway... to get a hold of a copy of Ray's first published work...
Nor by actually physically visiting the Waukegan News-Sun Newspaper....
but by just asking for a copy of the poem thru ...'REGULAR MAIL'!!

BRAVO!

posted Hide Post
You're too kind. Sometimes the old ways are best. And now, for the conclusion:

Down in our hearts as burns a flame
Emblazoned on us that one name
Will Rogers lived and as he died,
A world of men broke down and cried
Beside his bier, and over head
A strolling plane, colored as red as sunset's glow,
Flies down, then slowly turns
Toward North--as if its heart still yearns
For open spaces in the air.
Off it flies, we know not where,
For we are stilled upon this day--
Our friend, Will, has passed away.

William Penn Adair Rogers, the "cowboy philosopher," was born on November 4, 1879, on a ranch between Claremore and Oologah, Oklahoma. He wrote newspaper columns, commented on politics, and was an advocate for Native American rights. He died August 15, 1935, in a plane crash at Point Barrow, Alaska. He and pilot Wiley Post were on route to a tour of the Orient. Ray's poem was obviously a tribute of the one-year anniversary. It's significant that 1935 was also when Ray witnessed the car crash which inspired "The Crowd." His fear of airplanes and automobiles never left him. I've taken the liberty of correcting spelling and punctuation, but presumbably the wording is his original. I did a report on Will Rogers in school. In 11th grade I had already been a huge Bradbury fan for four years, but it's doubtful I knew his first published piece was about Will Rogers, and I certainly didn't have a copy of the poem then. For this report we had to dress up as a historical character and summarize the person's life and work. I remember getting a good grade and having a great time. I also still have a cute picture of myself as "Will Rogers." He's also been impersonated by his son, Will Jr., in movies, and by Stewart Whitmore on stage.

posted Hide Post
Many thanks, Dandelion! I'll print out the poem after I cut & paste.

posted Hide Post
hi,

This is Crystal.Please do not post anything that does not have to do with the subject.That really annoys me.Please only post the answers to the questions.

Thankx,
�Crystal�

Posts: 3 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA 15239 | Registered: 16 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crystal,

While this message board may be a good resource for you to find help with your schoolwork, many people converse within it. People may stem into other conversations based on the questions you presented, and this is most likely unavoidable.

Posts: 32 | Location: San Diego, CA, US | Registered: 10 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree, I enjoy stray offs from the orginal topics for something that is really interesting.

quote:
but by just asking for a copy of the poem thru ...'REGULAR MAIL'!!

I believe the proper term is "Snail Mail."
lol

(Back then it was just about the only kind of mail; the internet was virtually unheard-of when I was in college.)

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 10-24-2002).]

Posts: 4 | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post