Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    How do you find the value of Fahrenheit 451 book
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you find the value of Fahrenheit 451 book
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury's signature on the 39th 451 copy looks very authentic. That is the way Ray's signature looked back in the 1950's.

I held an asbestos copy back around 1972, at a book-collector's home in Berkely, California. It had a plastic book cover and some flakes of asbestos had been breaking on the bottom edges, but remained inside the plastic cover.

Such a find would rank in the history of a ~Super-Find~ at a Goodwill store. 224bbaker may even make headlines in the 'Goodwill Monthly News' [Is there such a thing?]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just amazed that there ever was an asbestos version of the book!! Was each page asbestos, or just the cover?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I think maybe just the cover. The pages do not feel different. If anyone know's pass the information on...

Posts: 16 | Registered: 01 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
woudl that i could afford such a treasure!
Here is a link to ABEbooks searched for this edition $from $8,500 to $18,500. Nice find!

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=...=Fahrenheit+451&x=40

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing your amazing find with us. For now I think you should get a protective box or cover for it, while you decide about restoring the binding. That is just amazing - better than Antiques Roadshow!

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think restoring the binding will actually decrease the value of the book. (Would you try to retouch the Mona Lisa?) I would find some kind of glass case and put it on display. Congratulations on your marvelous find!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you

I don't know about a glass case. Just seems cold. A book has always seemed very warm to me. I wonder if they could make a cover that looks just like the book itself?

I have seen the Mona Lisa. I would not change her or seal her in glass.

posted Hide Post
Well, if you're really struggling with what to do with this book, I have the perfect suggestion: send it to me!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I had to face facts. I just can not keep the book. For some strange reason my oldest wants to go to College and study film. Did you know that each application costs at least $50? A SAT study course is $600, and the test itself is $100. I am not complaining. Just stating the facts.
I think I will go to Borders after I vote. I did want to reread Fahrenheit 451.

posted Hide Post
Will you be taking bids, 224bbaker?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the interest. I put it up on Ebay last night. I put it up at $5000. I do not think it will sell really. Probably will have to go to a auction house. But I thought I would try. Maybe it will spark someone's interest to just read the book.