Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    F 451 Production at the Gables Stage--Biltmore Hotel

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

F 451 Production at the Gables Stage--Biltmore Hotel
 Login/Join

posted
Fahrenheit 451 is being produced at the Gable Stage which is part of the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, Florida. I spoke with Joseph Adler the director and after explaining to him about my knowing Ray for almost 40 years, etc., etc., he asked me if I would like to attend opening night this coming Saturday the 14th of October. He said that two tickets for me and my wife will be waiting at the door and that there would be a get together afterward with the actors. Bill Hirschman of the Florida Sun Sentinel, who got to spend and hour and half with Ray a year ago last May, will be there to write a review for paper.

So, as you can imagine, I am quite excited about this opportunity to see one of Ray's plays and to meet the director and actors. I hopefully will be able to take some photos and will post them ASAP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane 1, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. In my opinion F451 is Ray's best play: it has a strong plot, characters, theme and dialogue.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's an article about the production here:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/living/15729334.htm

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link.

Three errors in the first two paragraphs! Isn't it interesting how little about RB these reporters actually know?

Well, bless their hearts for trying.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just read the article and am not sure what you might be referring to. Wait a while to see if any one else can identify them.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Three errors in the first two paragraphs!

Let's see...

1) Doug might be objecting to Ray being called a science fiction writer (although I think it's appropriate if we are discussing F451).

2) Para 2 says Ray sat down at HIS typewriter, but he famously wrote F451 in the basement of a library on a pay-as-you-go typewriter.

3) Para 3 says "kids amuse themselves with random violence". This doesn't sound like any part of F451 that I remember.

Well, Doug, are these the three errors, or did I miss something?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Alright, then: three errors in the first two paragraphs.

1. FH451 notwithstanding, RB is a fantasy writer (with excursions into dark fantasy/horror), and not a sci-fi writer. Mr B is adament about this.

2. You got number two straight-on.

3. The article says he stills types on his typewriter everyday. He no longer types, rather dictates to Alexandra.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"kids amuse themselves with random violence" sounds more like "A Clockwork Orange". The only thing I recall from F451 that reflects this is when Montag is spotted by a carfull of teenagers who try to run him down.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug for the brain teasers. It helps keep us all sharp.

posted Hide Post
My wife and I just returned from Coral Gables where F 451 was produced at the Gable Stage Theatre at the Biltmore Hotel.

We both thought it was a great production. It was in a small theatre and was minimal in set dressings, but enough to create the images needed.

The cast was great (see attached photo). The young lady in the front row who played Clarisse was fantastic. Next to her, in the middle is the fellow who played Montage and to the right of him is Beatty. To the upper right of Beatty is the lady who played Mildred. Joe Adler, the director is in the rear along with biplane 1 and his wife Barbara.

I will have more photos to post of the set and actors in costume in a week or so that will be supplied by the director and he asked that they be posted.

The highlight of the evening for Joe Adler, the director and the actors who played Montag and Mildred was when I called Ray. Joe had spoken with him on several occasions in regard to the production of the play, but the others had not. They were indeed thrilled to speak to Ray. Before hanging up Ray asked me to give them all a big hug.

ImageBiplane_1,_Wife_Barb,_Joe_Adler_and_Cast.jpg (54 Kb, 13 downloads)

posted Hide Post
The photo attached shows Kathern Lee Johnston (Mildred) speaking with Ray as Bruce Linser (Guy), Joseph Adler, director, and biplane 1 look on.

ImageKatherine_Speaks_With_Ray.jpg (54 Kb, 10 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Sounds like you all had a whale of a time. Great pics, biplane; thanks for posting.

- Phil