Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Was King using poetic license??

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was King using poetic license??
 Login/Join

posted
Just read Stephen King's "Bag Of Bones". He eludes to a story by Ray Bradbury called either "Heaven Is Mars" or "Mars Is Heaven". Astronauts arrive on Mars only to find it is their hometown in Illinois where their departed loved ones live. Only to be slaughtered by Martians while they sleep. Sounds kinda like Martian Chronicles. Was this a real story? If it is, where can it be found? Or did Mr. King get me?

Thanks for your help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a very real story. It comprises one of the chapters of the THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, which is a series of short stories about Mars that Ray turned into a novel. In compiling the novel, the original title of the short story was dropped. If you pick up a copy of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, however, you should be able to find this chapter very easily.

Posts: 2475 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been collected under that title, also anthologized under other titles.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, the story is known as "April 2000: The Third Expedition."

Posts: 2475 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I thought it must have been part of TMC, but wasn't sure. Thanks again for your help.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,
"Mars is Heaven" was also the title used for a radio adaptation of the M.C. story. I think it might have been aired on "Suspense" in the 50's.

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also,
I haven't read Bag of Bones yet, but I've heard good things about it. Spcape, do you recommend?

Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post