Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray to get Star on Walk of Fame April 1

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray to get Star on Walk of Fame April 1
 Login/Join

posted
Be there to join Ray Bradbury as he receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 11:30 am on Monday, April 1. (This is no April Fool's joke.)

Ray's star will be in front of Larry Edmunds Bookshop, 6644 Hollywood Boulevard, in Hollywood, Califonia.

Ray is being honored in Los Angeles in April as the city is reading "Fahrenhiet 451" in its first citywide reading program.

Ray will be there, as will Charlton Heston.

Posts: 1 | Location: LA, CA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I HOPE this is a joke! When Dean Stockwell got his star I had a year to plan in advance, with plane tickets bought at least a month ahead of schedule! Now, all of a sudden, his most loyal fans are given FOUR DAYS when plane tickets must be ordered two weeks in advance to get good rates? This is SO not funny!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it's official. Here it is from the official website of the Hollywood Walk of Fame:

Upcoming Ceremonies

Ray Bradbury
April 1, 11:30 am
6644 Hollywood Blvd.

Rowan & Martin
April 2, 11:30 am
Location TBD

I'm outraged. These ceremonies aren't thrown together in a week, they are planned months (at least!) in advance. The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce only allows a certain number of stars to be given out per year. People knew about this and no one said a thing. Why did those of us who subscribe to the e-mail newsletter not get one concerning such a vital, once-in-a-lifetime event? Why was it not AT LEAST announced on the message board enough in advance to allow people time to purchase plane tickets, find places to stay, etc.? (Anyone reading this who lives near Hollywood and wants to put me up, supposing I can get a flight on such short notice, e-mail me and we'll talk.) People are going to hear about this. I'm good and steamed!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Following further research, I am even more affronted, indignant, and just plain upset to learn that the committee meets in June, and recipients are announced in July! That means that, unless the date was either set at the last minute, or was for some reason (such as limited space) meant to remain secret, people knew for NINE MONTHS about this and said not ONE WORD on this site, the most obvious place of interest to Ray's fans! Some of you read every area of this site, yet no one posts anything about this until way too late to be of any use to anyone not within driving distance of L. A., so I can only assume it was not mentioned here. What is this anyway?

posted Hide Post
Dandelion-agreed! Although being there in person would not be likely for most of us, to at least get a timely note of congratulations would have been nice.
I wonder if Julia was aware of this through the publisher's office (well in advance!)? We have people from around the world staying in touch and discussing generously through this forum, yet we get last minute word of this honor to Mr. Bradbury via our own exchanges here! Someone missed a very important moment in this author's illustrious career.
If you get pictures on line of this event, I am sure you will share with all of us. You always have an accurate perspective. Thanks.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree completely - this should have been made known months ago!
Be thankful, though, that you live on the same continent and in the same hemisphere (!) as Mr Bradbury, and at least have some chance of attending this event (not to mention other readings, lectures etc.).

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just finished posting the following every place I could think of, and we'll see what, if anything, comes of it:

Event: Ceremony Unveiling Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
Recipient: Ray Bradbury
Time: April 1, 2002, 11:30 a.m.
Place: 6644 Hollywood Boulevard, near Larry Edmunds Bookshop

Reason for posting this here: DESPERATION

The nominating period for these stars comes up ONCE a year--in May. The Star Committee from the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce approves recipients in June and they are all announced by July. Ray Bradbury's official website went online in October (in other words, at least three months after this once-in-a-lifetime honor was announced) and I happened upon the site (no one having bothered to tell me) in December.
No updates ever appear in the so-called news sections, and those of us who signed up for an e-mail newsletter have yet to receive a single one. Yesterday this announcement appears, posted on the message board by a fan, and yes, it is true, not a mistake or an April Fool's Joke!
As far as we (fans--some of whom check the site several times a day) can tell, not only has this news never appeared on Bradbury's site, it has appeared in NO MEDIA whatsoever. The only mention found online was a small announcement on the official website for the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which you had to really be looking for to find. It has also appeared nowhere in print that I or anyone who knows me has seen, or I would have known of it. Neither have I or anyone who knows me heard of it on television.
Of course, it would have been almost impossible for me to attend. I would have had to find someplace to stay in California, ordered plane tickets at least two weeks in advance, and run on a very tight schedule, as an Easter cantata for which we've practised since January is on Saturday, Easter is Sunday morning, and the Star Ceremony is Monday morning. Still, it would have been nice to be able to at least TRY to attend--a choice now denied me.
When I attended Dean Stockwell's Ceremony, I had six or eight months to prepare and bought the tickets a month or more in advance, and I haven't seen every film of his! (For a while I tried, but he kept making them faster than I could watch them.) I have, however, read every published word of Bradbury's I could find, some stories and even whole books a number of times over, and yet no one who knew of this saw fit to tell me. (That trip was my only one so far to California, on which occasion I tried, and failed, to see Bradbury.)
In February I was in touch with a certain collector about a Bradbury newspaper interview (which made NO mention of the Star). This person knows I think enough of Bradbury to have spent my college graduation money on a trip to Bradbury's hometown of Waukegan, Illinois--anyone who's seen Waukegan knows that's TRUE devotion. He must have known about the Star Ceremony and never said a word. I am really deeply hurt by all this, it will take a long time to get over, and the only way to begin to try to make up for it is to at least get a tape of the event.
I contacted a fan who has Bradbury's l