Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Have any of Ray Bradbury's texts been set to music?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have any of Ray Bradbury's texts been set to music?
 Login/Join

posted
Being a singer, I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not any of Mr. B's texts have been set to music; either his poetry or perhaps short excerpts from stories?

(I suppose I could just Google, but I thought I'd ask here, as well).

Smiler

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington DC metro area | Registered: 06 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a very nice ballet of Frost & Fire a couple years ago. And Fahrenheit 451 has been opera-ized. And I believe Dandelion Wine was turned into a musical as well, was it not?

I live in DC metro too, by coincidence - Largo, Maryland.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Dandelion Wine has been done as a musical. Also Leviathan '99 has been done as an opera. I think a couple of other plays have also been done as musicals or operas (Perhaps The Electric Grandmother; perhaps The Invisible Boy; perhaps The Day it Rained Forever. These are vague recollections!)

Then there's Christus Apollo - a poem, which has been performed with musical backing.

In the UK, Brian Sibley once wrote a piece for voice and music called "The Autumn People", inspired by Bradbury.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...I live in DC metro too, by coincidence - Largo, Maryland.

Doug, you've dropped out of character again. We all know you live in Green Town with your brother Tom.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Doug, you've dropped out of character again. We all know you live in Green Town with your brother Tom.

Indeed Douglas does - but John doesn't!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,

William F. Nolan's THE RAY BRADBURY COMPANION has the following entry:

"SONGS FOR A SIDESHOW OF THE MIND. Sub-titled: RAY BRADBURY'S
DARK CARNIVAL. On one LP record. From Tower, 1970. Bob Jacobs
adapts eight RB stories into narrative songs: "The Emissary,"
"The Wind," "The Small Assassin," "Homecoming," "The Illustrated
Man," "The Dwarf," "The Jar," and "There Was An Old Woman." RB
liner note."

Wonder where to find said album? Sounds intriguing.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all, I am actually putting the finishing touches on a musical adaptation of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. It is a fairly large project and I am very close to having it onstage. However, I do not have the rights to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about doing this, or any thoughts at all about the severity of copyright infringement? I have contacted Mr. Bradbury's agent Don Congden but was not given permission to put on the musical. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
-Stendhal

Posts: 3 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 18 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stendhal:
I have contacted Mr. Bradbury's agent Don Congden but was not given permission to put on the musical.

You rebel you - go for it!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello all, I am actually putting the finishing touches on a musical adaptation of Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles. It is a fairly large project and I am very close to having it onstage. However, I do not have the rights to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to go about doing this, or any thoughts at all about the severity of copyright infringement? I have contacted Mr. Bradbury's agent Don Congden but was not given permission to put on the musical. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
-Stendhal

Email me at UncleEinar AT earthlink.net

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Tarkas:
...Wonder where to find said album? Sounds intriguing.

Brother T, this was the subject of a long running thread some time ago. I seem to recall the recording engineer posted here with some information. Let's see... here's that old thread:

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...211016901#3211016901

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Here is some additional information:

http://www.raybradburyonline.c...ography/bradmusi.htm

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you philnic and Richard for posting that info!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egad, I haven't been back to this board since I asked the question! My apologies; I thank you all for the responses!

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington DC metro area | Registered: 06 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egad is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks,
-Stendhal

Do you need a mezzo-soprano? Smiler