Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    new collection bleed

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new collection bleed
 Login/Join

posted
Can anyone tell me how much "collection bleed" there is between the new "Bradbury Stories" collection and the older "Stories of Ray Bradbury" I have a feeling that the two will have a lot of common stories-hard to imagine a massive retrospective collection not containing "The Veldt" or "A Sound of Thunder" for instance, and I could name a dozen more that I imagine are in both. So, what's in, and what's out?

Posts: 8 | Location: bronx, ny usa | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I do not have the two books in front of me and am going from memory, I don't believe there is any overlap...which speaks volumes about the number of wonderful stories Ray has written.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No overlap whatsoever, and several stories difficult if not impossible to obtain elsewhere.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, you sold me! Thanks.

Posts: 8 | Location: bronx, ny usa | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They go together. No overlap. What is amazing to me is the range of writing represented between the two anthologies.

Amazing!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious about a book title:

"To Sing Strange Songs"

Supposedly this is a Ray Bradbury short story book, published in 1979. I don't recall this...
Is this some small house publisher?
Anyone know the story here?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"To Sing Strange Songs" was a collection of short stories and perhaps a poem or two published in 1979 for use by students in England--I don't know the publisher or print run. The only original thing in it is the introduction by Ray. The rest is fairly well-known material available elsewhere.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did finally get my copy of "Bradbury Stories" and so far, it looks like you guys were correct about it having no stories common to the earlier "Stories of Ray Bradbury" collection. I say that cautiously because I haven't had time yet to really compare, but at the very least, there is a vast amount of material that isn't covered in the earlier volume.

Total agreement, Mr. Dark, about how amazing it is that Bradbury has two 100-story retrospectives out there. There aren't many writers who could have two massive collections of such quality. And kudos to Harper Collins, for making the new collection complementary to the first one.

See you later, I have some reading to do...

posted Hide Post
Trivial observation re BRADBURY STORIES:

The publicity still of the cover clearly shows the subtitle of the book to be "100 of his most celebrated tales". But the dustjacket of my shiny new copy actually bears the subtitle "100 of Bradbury's most celebrated tales".

The subtitle doesn't appear to be used anywhere within the book itself. Curious.

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My copy has the subtitle on the title page, as well as showing it in the Library of Congress data on the copywright page.