Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I need to know the authors of the covers of the three different editions of LAM

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need to know the authors of the covers of the three different editions of LAM
 Login/Join

posted
I need your help to know who did the covers of the first two editions of Long After Midnight!
I'm back with another name, just my second name, I am Ana Mafalda! I want to thank all of you who have helped me this almost two years I've been working on Bradbury. Your help was precious to me!

Posts: 20 | Location: Caldas da Rainha, Portugal | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ana, the dust jacket from the U.S. first edition (the true first) published by Knopf was a reproduction of a painting called "The Nightmare". The artist was named Henry Fuseli. You can see it by clicking on the link below.
http://www.artmagick.com/paintings/painting1103.aspx

If my memory serves me correctly, the hardcover British first edition had a plain white dust jacket, with lettering. I am not sure to which other edition you may be referring.

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other I mention is the cover which has an eagle landing by the sea, the picture I got has panther written below.
Richard thanks for the link it was precious!!

Posts: 20 | Location: Caldas da Rainha, Portugal | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mafalda:
The other I mention is the cover which has an eagle landing by the sea, the picture I got has panther written below.
Richard thanks for the link it was precious!!

Ana, I think the cover you are referring to is by Peter Goodfellow. He did most of the Granada/Panther UK paperbacks of Bradbury's books in the late 70s and early 80s.

I'm assuming the cover is the one shown here: http://home.wlv.ac.uk/~in5379/books/long_midnight.htm

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much! I also want to wish you all that the new year will bring you health love and peace.

posted Hide Post
Ana: And in addition, to you -- the successful completion and defense of your Bradbury dissertation!!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil in the site you gave me with the covers of LAM there is information on the short story "the Burning Man" which difers from the information of a ss with the same name which appears in B's last book. are they the same stories or are they different but with the same title?
thank you

posted Hide Post
Ana,

they are the same story. I had always believed that "The Burning Man" first appeared in LAM, but the copyright page of the new BRADBURY STORIES says that it first appeared in Argentina in 1975, with a spanish title. The inconsistency on my web page will be corrected when I next update it (later today).

I'm assuming the copyright page of BRADBURY STORIES is correct (it may not be - I think there are some errors in it). If so, this must be quite unusual: a Bradbury first appearance in Spanish.

Anyone else know anything else about it?

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post