Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    LA Times Review: We'll Always Have Paris "Happy Surprise"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LA Times Review: We'll Always Have Paris "Happy Surprise"
 Login/Join

posted
Here is a most favorable review of Ray's new book, We'll Always Have Paris. The article appears in today's Los Angeles Times. Click the link to go to the article.

http://www.latimes.com/feature...eb28,0,4432288.story

Posts: 189 | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with the reviewer about the cover. That cover won't sell many books. But the review is sympathetic and seems to get some of what makes Bradbury tick. I hope the book does well and that Mr. Bradbury stays healthy and keeps at it.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Per "Paris" book cover:

Catching a glimpse of the actual books several weeks ago, I thought not much of it. Just a cover. But to sit down and think about it for a moment, you realize that the cover was intentionally created. That in itself is disturbing.

Going thru Ray's cardboard boxes of photos, I came across one of him speaking before a room full of people, back likely in the late sixties, early seventies...in Paris!! What a great photo. Why didn't they use something like that, spruce it up if they must, with some decorative digital renderings. But then there are also all those fine, wonderful colorful, amazing paintings of Paris from known and unknown artists... hidden, unhidden, lurking, standing out in the warm spring and summer sunshines waiting for an audience. There are other paintings that easily could have been wrap-around wonders to the eye.

What gives with some of these cover artists? I know Ray does some book covers for his works...and they are actually pretty good in my estimation. At least you know the 'well' from where the hand guides the movement of the brush betwixt curves and dabs and swirls of oil or acrylic. But the cover must in some degree reflect the contents of the spirit of the stories within.

MUST! Not perhaps!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For cover idea:

Here is 'part' of a photo I found with Ray speaking somewheres in Paris. At a University? A library? Perhaps a library. There is more to this photo, including Ray's wife sitting to the left (but not shown in this particular photo).

ImageRayInParis.jpeg (148 Kb, 9 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neat photo, but of course it doesn't LOOK like Paris. So the Eiffel Tower (or Arc de Triomphe!) would still have to be photoshopped in!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post