Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mars
 Login/Join

posted
Sorry the Mars pictures thread got all messed up with other stuff. Here is the link to the "Bullwinkle" side of Mars:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/2003/22/

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been watching the NASA Hubble scope pictures -- Nebulae, black holes, stars, galaxies, now Mars -- and am constantly amazed at the beauty of what that piece of equipment is producing. I read somewhere it is going to be "expired". Is that true? This seems like a horrible way to throw away the investment and amazing imagery this has been producing. Does anyone know who "owns" this and how to write a letter pleading with them to maintain this amazing telescope? Would we write NASA, or the White House or Congress? Is there a Congressional committee that oversees NASA?

Any politically astute folk out there? Letting the Hubble expire just seems like a waste! The images of space it has been producing are scientifically significant and poetically inspiring!

Annotation: This site has details on the mission:
http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/future/

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 03-06-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually heard that the HST is doing great; a recent "tune-up" session was missed because the telescope simply didn;t need tunning. Also, it's scheduled to function for the next 8 years or so (I forget where I read that, but it was some offcial website of the HST).
Cheers, Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that Hubble was designed to be periodically maintained by astronauts sent up on the Shuttle. Following the Shuttle disaster last year, it was decided that this should no longer continue (presumably sending people into space just to repair a machine is considered too risky). With the phasing out of the Shuttle, it is inevitable(?) that Hubble maintenance will cease.

My hunch is that Hubble will continue to function for many years without maintenance, and that by the time it reaches the end of its natural life the scientific community will have put something up there to replace it. The astronomical material it has generated certainly proves its worth.

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, How about an observation telescope on another planet someday? Here a dialogue Mr. B. and his 2nd home, The Red Planet!
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,110367,00.html

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another great link, fjpalumbo! I'm really pleased that all this real-world Mars activity has brought the spotlight onto Bradbury (I feared the dire NBC mini-series of The Martian Chronicles in the 1970s might have tainted people's opinion of Bradbury's relevance).

A telescope on another planet is a terrific idea, although Mars may not be ideal on account of its atmosphere. The (near-) vacuum of space is what makes Hubble so special.

- Phil

[This message has been edited by philnic (edited 03-08-2004).]

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This eye to the universe, or something with a similar or better capacity, really should always remain a part of our discovery process:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/09/hubble.farthest/index.html

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
The best place to put another Hubble might be on the Moon, there being no atmosphere to contaminate the optics with dust etc. Unless the inevitable mining companies start to spread the usual damage they leave behind. A Solar powered fully robotic telescope that could be operated by any one by purchasing time on it would be the greatest tool and brilliant toy to a lot of Mankind and might make us open our minds to the fact that we are but dust motes in the Universe that somehow have the ability to ask questions and contemplate our destiny.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not go to the source? Here is a link that lets users view the best of the HST photos ever taken.
Cheeers,
Translator
http://hubblesite.org/gallery/showcase/nebulae/n11.shtml

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There go the heavens! http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/11/russia.space.ap/index.html

Somehow this rings of an A.C. Clarke or Bladerunner? Or "And the Moon Be Still as Bright!"

It's a good thing van Gogh painted the "Starry Night" when he did! http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/03/05/starry.vangogh.reut/index.html

fpalumbo

posted Hide Post
Unless it fights back as in "Here There Be Tygers," Sam Parkhill's hot dog stand cannot be far behind.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see the resemblance of Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" with Hubbel's photograph. A few white lights don't cut it in my estimation...
http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/gogh/starry-night/gogh.starry-night.jpg

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-12-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey ALRIGHT my kind of people!!
Here's the poop on Hubble!! I just got an e-mail reply a few weeks ago from Sean O'Keefe(NASA administrator) himself!!
Sorry I'm not at home or I'd give you HIS e-mail address!
It is unsafe to do anymore repairs on the Hubble! There were to be TWO more mantainence missions to the Hubble but they are now off!! The Hubble was slated to be brought back down and put in the Smithsonian!... As of right now the CAIB(Columbia accident investigation board) will not allow that unless new technology can be worked out!!. But Mr. O'Keefe all but promised it would still be brought back down INTACT and will not suffer an uncotrolled re-entry!!. The P.I.(principle investigator) Astronuat, and fellow SOUTHPAW, John Grunsfeld(believe it or not) suggested the end of futher mantainence for the option of returning to the Moon and going on to Mars.
Bushes plan has put the kibosh on Hubble but the new JWST(James Webb Space telescope) will take Hubbles place slated for 2012!. Or so we hope look at how long Hubble was delaid!.
The New Planet finder or Space based INTERFEROMETER will now not fly till well past 2020!! Thanks Bush!!
But hey we still have the 'Chandra' X-ray Observitory in orbit...check out its web site at JPL(do a search you'll find it) along with!...the Compton Gama-ray Observitory!! And the just recently Commitioned and launched 'Spitzer' SIRTIF(space infrared telescope interferometer) It has sent back STUNNING pic's you just will not BELIEVE!!. Shoot I wish I were not in Las Cruces right now or I could give all the websites by name right now!!.
All Four of the major points of the spectrum are now covered but with the loss of Hubble in 2007 due to degradation of its components we will loose the Opticle or visible light observitory!. And how long till the JWST is launched. They say no later than 2014!.
But hey right now I just hope we get back to the Moon before China gets there the first time.! And they may get there faster than we did the first time!!!
I'm an AVID NASA TV watcher, I study the space program. Heck I'm Disabled and have nothing better to do, and its NASA RESEARCH KEEPING ME ALIVE!!. And hope I never missinform you guys, and excuse any typo's cause I have so much to say and want to get this to you all right away!!!. I'm glad I finally check this site out!.

John AJ B.

Posts: 35 | Location: Fort Worth,Texas,USA | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John,

welcome to the message board, and thanks for the clarification on Hubble. I hadn't thought about Hubble's ultimate fate, but I like the idea of it being brought back to Earth. I hope someone (don't really care who) gets back to the moon. I want someone to go to the Sea of Tranquility and send back video footage of Neil Armstrong's footprints in the dust - to finally silence all the Moon-hoax conspiracy theorists!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil,
I hope SOMEONE gets back to the Moon soon myself. But to silence that Moon hoax faldercarb, take heart...the Mt. Paranel telescope(aray and interferometer) in South America, Peru I believe; will soon be up to full capacity!!. And it will have the resolution to zoom in on the Apollo 11 site. If anyone gets back it will have the power to watch Astronauts(Chinese or American) in real time...cool huh?!
Any Scifi buffs out there know where the term 'faldercarb' comes from??!

John AJ

Posts: 35 | Location: Fort Worth,Texas,USA | Registered: 13 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post