Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Darabont: A Breath of Fresh Air!!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darabont: A Breath of Fresh Air!!
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hooray for Darabont! It still sounds like it be a couple of years before we get to see it, though.

A curious line from that Empire article:

"The hero, one such fireman, is forced to go on the run after his curious young daughter brings a forbidden book home."

Is that in the book? I hope it's not in the script.

- Phil

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great article, but you're right, philnic about that error, and to me that's a really huge error, too. I wonder if the author of the article never read the novel and relied on Cliffsnotes or some other such source. (Like my students sometimes try to do!) Anyway, I think Darabont raised an interesting idea about this not being a remake because he felt the original movie never quite nailed it. I liked the original movie but did not love it because of the precise reason Darabont gave--it lacked passion. It just never got to me emotionally like I think this story should. I hope this version doesn't take too long.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds hopeful; but once bitten, twice shy.
Every time I hear of a Bradbury story being movied, I recall the "Illustrated Man" disaster.
Actually there are a few things I didn't like about the Truffaut version, but the "lack of passion" wasn't one of them.
The lack of passion in the characters reflected the government-control of same (as in THX1138). The MUSIC, though - Bernard Herrmann - masterful. He himself said that he wanted the music to show the repressed emotions and so used all strings (and a little percussion). The music accompanying the final scene (in my opinion) is some of the most heart-wrenchingly gorgeous, on a par with Barber's "Adagio for Strings".

[This message has been edited by Braling II (edited 07-29-2004).]

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm supremely optimistic. I hope Darabont knocks it out of the park. With RB on his side, he can't lose.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Wow, interesting story...

I think Joseph Fiennes will be good, but Charlize Theron is a little old to play Clarisse, no?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charlize Theron will be 29 in a few days.

FYI, Winona Ryder, who someone also remarked was "too old," will be 33 in October!

Why don't they get Anna Paquin or Claire Danes? They're good.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I was tearing tickets at my theatre job the other day, a couple came out of F911 about 5 minutes into the movie, wanting their money back. "This isn't the one about the fireman!?" the woman said, rather disappointed. "I thought it was that one where Bruce Willis was a fireman who burns books!" The couple did get their money back, and I told them that I wished I could see F451 the movie too! I took comfort, however, in the fact that she also imagined Bruce Willis in the role (see my picks under the "who would you cast for F451 the movie" thread) although I don't know where she got the idea...

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now, that's just plain cosmic!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post