Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I need 10 facts on Ray bradbury
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need 10 facts on Ray bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
NEVER!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be fair, Mr. Dark. It's not ALL young people. Some of them do have basic courtesy. Curious though that "Jack" could find all the information he needed within twelve minutes. He obviously had no difficulty searching for it on the internet, so maybe it's just young people who spend too much time online instead of interacting with the physical world. As for spelling, I'm 23 and I think I'm the only person I know who's my age and can spell. Kinda sad, huh? What's worse is when people comlplain that schools aren't getting enough funding. Like it takes money to teach a kid how to read and write. Public schools (at least here in California) are so worried about getting their funding, but the kids aren't learning crap. Oh well, maybe that will give me an edge in the carreer market.

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 09-29-2003).]

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're absolutely right. Sorry about the over-generalization!!!!

This kind of stuff is just offensive to me, and in my reaction, I painted too broad a brushstroke.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon: (per your location)

AZUSA

If I recall, you are able to get everything from A to Z in the USA, in AZUSA. Now how many people know THAT! Then there are the Alpha-Beta Stores in California. Everything was supposed to originally be in alphabetical order, like, easier to find.
((This is also called, 'really getting off the track')).

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Nard-

Finally something I can speak knowledgably about, since I live adjacent to Azusa, CA. The origin of the city name Azusa being "A to Z in the USA" is a myth. Azusa is actually a corruption of an Indian word for "skunk"!

[This message has been edited by Chrisman43 (edited 09-30-2003).]

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark: It's cool. I know you didn't mean to accuse everyone. I too was upset that someone would come on a friendly helpful site and be a little punk.

Nard: A to Z in the USA. I have heard of that, but Chrisman43 is right about the origin of the word. Is that true about Alpha Beta being alphabetized? Actually, I haven't seen an Alpha Beta in years. I think they all closed down; at least the ones around here.

Chrisman43: I have heard that Azusa was a corruption of the local Indian word for "skunk hill." That leads me to believe that the actual "skunk hill" might be what is now called "lone hill" just off the 210 freeway in nearby Glendora. I oughtta look into that.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of rude punks and Azusa, I once sent an inquiry concerning a book to Azusa Pacific University and received an answer so rude it's remained with me. A lot of the punks may be in schools but not all are students; they exist in administration too.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon /

Discovered Alpha-Beta was bought-out by Save-Mart. But about the alphabetical arrangement?:

check it out...
http://www.groceteria.net/alphabeta/history.html

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
Went to hear satirist Al Franken speak at a book signing this morning, Oct. 1st, 2003 at Borders Books in downtown Chicago. I got interested in Franken when I first saw his failed movie, "Stuart Saves the World". I really thought it was a very excellent movie, and it had rare cars in it, too, like the 1963 Avanti. Anyway, the crowd was too large on the third floor amidst all the aisles of books included, so I came back later, and the line was too long to wait for a moment of book signing and chat, so I just went right up to him and started snapping a few photographs.... There did not seem a problem with that. In fact I started chatting with one of the security people, and to make conversation, I asked if Ray Bradbury ever was here at Borders. Well he was several years ago, at the one further north of the Loop. But the 'security store fellow' asks the question aloud across about 10-15 feet or so to the store manager, who is standing at Al Franken's side, while he is autographing books. Well, the name Ray Bradbury is flying back and forth for a few seconds, and somehow Al Franken thought the conversation had something to do with him. So he asked in gleeful interest, "What? what?" And then the girl said, it was about Ray Bradbury having spoken here before. Al Franken's expression immediately turned to a well thought out mixture of great surprise and dismay and utters... "Ray Bradbury...aaahhww.........."

Now, what was that supposed to mean? I hate to think he doesn't think much of Ray. I happen to like Franken....the only person of THAT political persuasion.

Anyway, I hope he finds it somewheres inside his heart and bank account to make "Staurt Saves the World Part 2", no matter what the critics say...

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 10-01-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Fascinating.

posted Hide Post
It's really a pity. I'd visit more often if it weren't for this sort of thing.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post