Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Dust witches and fortune tellers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dust witches and fortune tellers
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, was that you that said that you once read Dandelion Wine in a tree? I thought that was so original and marvelous! Maybe a repeat, or if I'm wrong, go climb a tree!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, weeping birch tree unfortunately now long gone.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since no one is telling us how to send a PM here, you can email me which is easily done through the person's online profile.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can ya now? I just tried accessing your profile and saw no way to do that.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, it used to be that anyone could see anyone's email address on their profile and there was even an icon to click on to mail someone. I know I've heard from people that way but the system may have changed. I can't see it on my profile here or see a way to edit it. I can see her email but am not sure whether her profile is set up differently or I can just see it because I'm an administrator. But anyhow I'll email her since I can't figure out any of this other stuff.

posted Hide Post
Dandelion, I think the old site had that where it was mandatory to put your e-mail. This ones not like that, I don't think. By the way, what is a PM? I'm computer illiterate at times. I put mine up by choice.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PM stands for "Personal Message."

Is this even the "new board"? While it was down I got an email prompt, followed it, and found another forum entirely, with www.raybradbury.com in the address line. It has flashy glitzy 3-D red headings and is designed differently.

What's going on?

WE NEED A GEEK ON THIS FORUM:> SURELY ONE OF US KNOWS A BRADBURY-LOVIN' COMPU-NERD. SURELY!

Posts: 52 | Location: LA,CA | Registered: 07 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
N.K., thanks for that P.M. def. I think you found your way somehow to the old R.B. site. The site we all used as our life line when this, the new site, crashed a few weeks ago. It is neon red and it does have a very similiar address. If you delve into it, you will find alot of our innermost abstractions, I for one wouldn't feel comfortable posting here. Well, forget about me, bad example. In fact, if I were you, I would never enter that old mining ghost town ever again, not only is it haunted, there's Martians. Plus its dangerous, alot of rotten boards, spider webs, unexplained noises in the wind, well you get the picture, just don't go. p-l-e-a-s-e-!-!-!-!

posted Hide Post
And there are rip roarin’ persnickety galoots there to boot, consarnit.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its like that pirate city, whats it called, where all the pirates go?

galoots, I truly envy your vocab.

posted Hide Post
Isn't "Dagnabbit" another way of saying "carsarnit."
(Can someone recall from whence this comes?)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank, and you being a teacher! 'From whence' is a redundancy. The word "whence" means from where or can also mean from what.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B1: Right! Right! I knew that. I knew that.
As in, "Whence comest thou?"

Then again, the "recall" also means "bring back from a source." So, it is actually a re-redundancy since the "whence" is "from" and the "from" is self-explanatory!

Would this be like the more negatives you put in a statement (as a Middle Ages' speaker) the more emphatic you were about the negation?

Back to the recall, Oh, no! Not again!
Hint: "Dagnabit, Luke!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was that a redundancy or a tautology?

Most phrases like "gol-darn" "dad-gum", dagnabbit", and the like come from attempts to express frustration without actually saying "God damn". Similarly, taking the Lord's name (Jesus Christ) in vain is "avoided" using phrases such as "Jiminy Christmas", "Jeepers Creepers", and even "Gee Whiz".
I find a lot of these quite colourful and creative. "...con-sarned, dad-blasted son-of-a sidewinder!" I seem to recall Pat Brady hurling such epithets at his jeep Nellie Belle...
Of course, this comes from a time when most in our culture used to actually consider cursing a bad thing.
To express my frustration, I often use the simple "Charles Schulzian" expression, "RATS!"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post