Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Dust witches and fortune tellers
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dust witches and fortune tellers
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Once again S.D., you present a plethora of possibilities. My dad, always with the patience of saint, in his most colorful blue streak, and that a rarity, quothed but never loudly, "Son of a Bisquit!" The only time I "felt" his displeasure with me (at maybe 10-11yrs) was for a word gone wrong. I never did it again (well, at least in earshot)!

I was primarily a "jeepers" kid from around 8-12. Your comments on how we once refrained from profanity within the culture is accurate, by golly! Now, however, turn on the tube and get a real lesson in @#$%&*&@() from 6pm to 6am. Shucks.

As for Luke's "dagnabit," it was Grandpa McCoy on the The Real McCoys. Walter Brennan as the patriarch.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it usually "Gol-darn it, Luke!" ?
Remember Madge Blake as Flora McMichael who was always after Amos? One of the greats, as was Andy Clyde who played her brother George.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys put me to shame! I remember a lot of the old shows, "Fibber McGee and Molly," "The Shadow," "Amos And Andy," and now that I try to remember my mind goes blank. Well, anyhow, it is refreshing to hear of these past gone people and the shows that they were in.

And Frank, I had to say something, as I knew your vocabulary was quite high and you would know better.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bi1: Truth be known, you actually caught me on that one. It was just before my a.m. cup of joe, and brainwaves were far from reliable functioning levels, not that they get much better as the day progresses!

Gol-nabit?!?, BII, I'm starting to short circuit.

"Gosh, thanks, Mr. Sanderson, but I don't know what I'm going to be yet!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, boy- Here I go again down the rabbit trail! I love Fibber McGee and Molly. Bill Thompson was another great one on their show as Wallace Wimple and the Old Timer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Thompson_(voice_actor)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did anyone read that "Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Story" about the boy who got in trouble for using such terrible slang as "shoot" and "rats"?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wehehehellll….that ain’t the way I heard it!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, still on the rabbit trail, just ran across this. Hope you can open it. More nostalgia..."Chaaaawwwk-lit!"

ImageFarfel.jpg (43 Kb, 6 downloads)

posted Hide Post
"N-E-S-T-L-E-S!!!"

posted Hide Post
Braling II, thanks for the photo. Brings back many memories. And Frank, looking at your post the jingle is running through my mind. I bet some will remember, including Ray, Buster Brown Shoes, and "look for Tyge, he's in there too!" I am not sure if the spelling of the dog is correct but I sure remember those commercials.

It appears that a good share of us Ray Bradburians are above the age of 50, some more above than others. And with the nostalgia that reading Ray brings, it is comforting and enjoyable to bring up these things from our childhoods. I am so happy that no one, yet, has indicated a dislike to our meanderings.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Your forties are the old age of youth. [Bronx cheer] And your fifties are the youth of old age.” Hurrah!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding Bradbury and product placement: it seems almost every brand name ever mentioned in a Bradbury story is either a thing of the past (Nehi soda or something to evoke nostalgia) or a made-up product (seashell radios or something to create a future atmosphere.) Extremely rare to find any current brand name in Bradbury--Quaker Oats and a few car names are the only ones I can think of.

I remember Buster Brown shoes.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking of Bradbury and product endorsements, does anyone out there remember the hilarious Stan Freberg television commercial for Sunsweet Prunes, which featured Ray on a gigantic TV screen (a la FAHRENHEIT 451), with Freberg as an interviewer questioning Ray about whether he had ever featured prunes in any of his stories? Reportedly, when Freberg asked Ray to be in the commercial Ray initially declined, saying he did not do commercials. But when Freberg told Ray that the commercial was called "Brave New Prune", Ray replied, "When do we start?"

Posts: 2447 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can SEE that commercial! It's included in the audio/video set "Tip Of The Freberg". Being a parsimonious Scandihoovian, I checked it out from the library.

posted Hide Post
Wow, another thing to pick up!