Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Illustrated Man - new movie
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Illustrated Man - new movie
 Login/Join

posted
Read all about it! New director signed for forthcoming movie! Zack Snyder, director of 300, has signed to direct The Illustrated Man.

More info on my website.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zack did Dawn of the Dead (2004), as well. A big improvement over the 1978 version, I think.

But you're right - why are they trying to make a film of a collection of short stories?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zack being brought on raises my hopes for the quality of the end product, but I'm still a tad skeptical. Nothing against Zack.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
has anyone here seen the original Illustrated Man film adaptation?

Email: ordinis@gmail.com

Posts: 344 | Location: Redmond, Washington USA | Registered: 18 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It IS strange to film a collection of stories. Haven't seen it done since the early nineties. Forget title, but there was an artsy-fartsy film that was a collection of erotic vignettes (sp?) by topshelf directors. That's the last one I can remember, if you don't count the recent Tarantino girl-with-a-gun-for-a-leg trilogy.

I wonder what stories they'd choose to include? I'll say 4 stories at 25 min each plus 20 minutes of illustrated man and POV character interaction. That gives us two hours. Sounds about right, no?

As for the four stories... I'll go with:
"Marionettes Inc."
"The Veldt"
"The Long Rain"
"Kaleidescope"

DARN!!! I hate doing this kind of thing. How can I or the film-makers leave out:
"The City"
"Zero Hour"
"The Other Foot"
"The Rocket Man"
"The Man"
"The Rocket"
"The Fire Ballons"
"The Fox And The Forest" etc.

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Could always do 5 stories at 20 minutes. Still impossible for me to choose just five stories.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sort of film can be done well - Robert Altman's SHORT CUTS comes to mind - it included about 8 or 10 stories, I think.

The film would HAVE to include:
'Long Rain'
'Kaleidoscope'
'Rocket Man'
+ a couple of others.

Posts: 125 | Location: NSW South Coast, Australia | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'e seen the 1969 film version, but I hope the makers of this new one will not allow themselves to be influenced by that one. They have to remember they're filming RAY BRADBURY'S Illustrated Man, not re-making a 1969 movie.

There are quite a few "portmanteau" films, made up of multiple short stories. One such is a British classic called Dead of Night . That worked very well, and is apparently one of RB's favourite films!

However, I think you have to prepare the audience really well, otherwise the film ends up a confusing mess, particularly if you try to have the illustrated man himself appearing in the stories (which is what they did back in '69).

It appears that Frank Darabont is co-producing the film, so that's another reason to think it might be in safe hands. But I might be more reassured if Darabont were writing the script as well.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love "Dead Of Night"! Mentioned it in a few old posts, actually. Hard to find these days.
Don't forget "The Best Years Of Our Lives" and "If I Had A Million".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II, with "Dead of Night", "The Prisoner" and "The Goon Show" you have earned nearly enough Brit-points to qualify for life membership.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
What happens to my score if I throw in Tony Hancock?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You now have very nearly an armful.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nico:
has anyone here seen the original Illustrated Man film adaptation?

Yes, and this one almost HAS to be better.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
You now have very nearly an armful.

Brilliant!
Have a wine gum?

posted Hide Post
A story really can't be done effectively in less than 15-20 minutes, can it? THE SIMPSONS do an annual trilogy with their famous and highly anticipated Halloween specials. Each story is about 17 minutes in length. They are quite effective. They once did a "A Sound Of Thunder" adaptation, and a "There Will Come Soft Rains" one also.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, sometimes the decision is made when filming an anthology to completely revise everything, e.g., "I, Robot." Hopefully that isn't the case here.

Posts: 48 | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post