Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Yestermorrow, the play
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yestermorrow, the play
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
This evening’s performance was made all the more special by the showing of the Mike Wallace interview of Ray, both being introduced by Walter Cronkite. People in the audience were visibly and audibly moved. After showing the clip Ray talking about having dinner, in Paris, with Walter Cronkite and Pierre Salinger. Talk about a evening of what had to be great conversation.

If I can figure out this YouTube thingy I’ll upload Ray’s speech for the evening.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the link to Ray's speech from Saturday night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyqox03PG0c

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, why is "The Meadow" being referred to as "new" when it was actually his first produced play (with Jim Whitmore) way back in 1960? Just curious ... and slightly baffled!

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by William Lantry:
John, why is "The Meadow" being referred to as "new" when it was actually his first produced play (with Jim Whitmore) way back in 1960?...

And performed on radio in 1947, and published in Best One-Act Plays of 1947-48...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by William Lantry:
John, why is "The Meadow" being referred to as "new" when it was actually his first produced play (with Jim Whitmore) way back in 1960?...

And performed on radio in 1947, and published in Best One-Act Plays of 1947-48...

And in Esquire Magazine, December 1953.

Terry: You can ask Ray this Saturday at Comic-Con.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
But alas, I won't BE at Comic-Con! Hope to be out there for the birthday party weekend, though.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It appears that more than a few people who read this board plan on coming into town for Ray's birthday event. If you are coming all that way I really do suggest you attend the play that same evening. It is six miles from the bookshop that is hosting the daytime party. Ray is expected to attend the theatre so expect even more cake if you attend the theatre.

www.plays411.com/raybradbury

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
It appears that more than a few people who read this board plan on coming into town for Ray's birthday event. If you are coming all that way I really do suggest you attend the play that same evening. It is six miles from the bookshop that is hosting the daytime party. Ray is expected to attend the theatre so expect even more cake if you attend the theatre.

Allright, I'll do it!

Ummm... cake...

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am thinking hard about flying down from British Columbia to be at Ray's party. Would this be my best bet to finaly meet the man? Is there a risk I would be turned away due to overcrowding? The opportunity to celebrate Ray's birthday and see his plays on the same day seems too good to pass up. Of course, what I really want to do is meet Ray and maybe exchange a few words.

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skmckee:
I am thinking hard about flying down from British Columbia to be at Ray's party. Would this be my best bet to finaly meet the man?

Yes it would - come!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For anybody on the board that is planning to attend the theatre on the 22nd and wishes to take advantage of discount tickets, via GoldStar, one might wish to buy them NOW, since they may be gone by this evening.

The 80 partrons at the theatre will give you a better chance to talk to the master than the 300 plus that will attend the bookshop event earlier in the day. Plus, with the theatre you will be able to get one or two items signed without the restrictions of a retail store.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
jkt: tickets secured for performance 8/22 evening. Just made a call to M&I and left a message. I sure hope they take time to give a return call before we depart!?

(Great info on the venues and signing opportunities. Thank you so much.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John, Does anyone know if Tim Hamilton is going to be able to make it for Ray's Birthday Party next Saturday?

Posts: 2 | Location: san diego county,ca. | Registered: 13 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know, but I hear that John-Boy will be there!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
jkt: tickets secured for performance 8/22 evening. Just made a call to M&I and left a message. I sure hope they take time to give a return call before we depart!?

(Great info on the venues and signing opportunities. Thank you so much.)

The bookshops phone won't stop ringing you might wish to send an email with a cell phone number.

John King Tarpinian