Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Who are YOU?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who are YOU?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
PoseidonMA,
good point. That would be odd. I guess like getting a phone call from the prime minister or something.

Rogar131,
Mike Nesmith as in "The Monkees"?

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon-

Mike Nesmith was/is terribly influential.
His work with The Monkees was just a blip in a career that included a highly successful country/rock band, and he is widely considered the father of MTV.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine name is short for "Douglas Spaulding", the central character in what may well be Ray's best book, the nostalgic Dandelion Wine. Douglas is, of course, RB's middle name, and "Spaulding" is also a name somewhere in the family - his father's middle name, I think ... dandelion would know this sort of thing.

Posts: 110 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, it's pretty obvious where my username came from! I've always been particularly fond of Bradbury's early "Weird Tales" sort of stories. The October Country contains a number of favourite tales; I love the autumn season (October is my favourite month) and always enjoy Halloween, so it seemed pretty natural to pick this as a message board moniker.

I first started using this a few years ago as my eBay username, and have since used it on a couple of message boards. (In fact, I was recognised on the Advanced Book Exchange board recently--someone asked me if I was the same "octobercountry" that posted on this Bradbury board.) By this point in time, I rather react to hearing "octobercountry" ("october" for short) as if it really were my name--I hear the words and feel that someone is directly addressing me...

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groon:
Rogar131,
Mike Nesmith as in "The Monkees"?[/B]

Yes, that Mike Nesmith. In addition to being a Monkee and the heir to the Liquid paper fortune (I kid you not), he made a series of acclaimed country rock albums, produced movies like "Repo Man" and "Tapeheads", and created a long-form music/sketch comedy video called "Elephant Parts". Television Parts was an outgrowth of that and lasted about half a minute on NBC in the mid-80's. Not bad for the guy in the green wool cap.

Posts: 8 | Location: bronx, ny usa | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not bad. I didn't realise he did so much!

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved "Television Parts." I remember the two blonde guys (brothers?) who showed up on some other stuff around that time and I remember Martin Mull being involved. Good stuff, made me laugh.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rei is also not Bradbury related. I went onto this site in the first place for a theatre history report. I didn't realize how many people like him too. Nobody at my school really goes into Bradbury's stuff as much as I do. Anyway, Rei is the name of a character on my favorite japanese anime cartoon, Neon Genesis Evangelion. Its a science fiction tale about what "really happened" to the dinosaurs. They called it "the first impact" and the whole cartoons is based on these people who are trying to prevent a "third impact" from happening by destroying alien monster things with huge robots that can only be piloted by 14 year olds. Whew!...That was a mouth full. It's really a philosophical kind of thing. Really in depth. Seeing as I'm only 15 I will not reveal my real name because I am not aloud...tee hee Keep on postin'!

Posts: 9 | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I chose the name because the first 15 I tried were already taken!

Posts: 2 | Registered: 17 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rei, You aren't allowed by your parents? Or is it an internet rule? Please forgive me if it sounds like a dumb question, but I don't know much about internet laws and such.
As for Anime, I never really got that much into it, but I must admit, I thought Cowboy Bebop was quite cool! Especially the soundtrack! Really good jazz/funk/soul/blues/rock/pop...really good music!

[This message has been edited by groon (edited 10-17-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately because there are internet predators, kids are always told not to reveal their name, age, address, etc., so I'm guessing that's what Rei is talking about.

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 10-17-2003).]

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. It's a good policy. The internet is great, but all new technology is rapidly corrupted into malicious uses.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought in Clarisse Harris... from the story Skeleton. 'Cause it was the first story I read, and it really "shocked" me... since then, I read the entire "October Country" and then I bought "The Illustrated Man", "The Martian Chronicles" and "Fahrenheit 451"... I think this webpage it was just was I was looking for, my friends doesn't read Bradbury's books, so I don't know anybody to talk about them.

Well, I apologize for my english, I hardly write/speak it..... at least.... I understand it

Posts: 3 | Location: Chile | Registered: 19 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarisse:

Welcome aboard. I love seeing international fans participate in the board (this sounds culturally prejudiced -- like US fans are real, and international fans are supplementary. I don't mean it that way).

Skeleton was one of my favorite stories when I first read it and it remains a favorite of Bradbury's for me. Like you, I went from one Bradbury book/story to another. I started with F451, then Martian Chronicals, then Something Wicked This Way Comes. Then I read everything I could get my hands on by Bradbury. All that reading in Bradbury got me interested in literature, religion, and theology. Bradbury opened the world of ideas to me and it changed my life.

Welcome aboard! You are among friends!

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walter was the last man on Mars in The Silent Towns-Martian Chronicles looking for anyone to share with. He found a repulsive woman who he escaped from. Being alone was better. The theme of last man on the planet intrigues me. Here we are in 2003 and the full title of the story is "December 2005-The Silent Towns." The last person on earth may be you. What will you do first? Second? Third? Fourth? Fifth? Sixth? Seventh?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post