Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Q. about first publication of Dark Carnival
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Q. about first publication of Dark Carnival
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. My first post at this board, although I've visited on and off for a few years after re-re-discovering and/or re-re-visiting Mr. Bradbury's works.

So. I've just completed reading Dark Carnival (1947 original publication.) I can't believe a library actually sent it through Interlibrary Loan, especially since it was in pretty sad shape.

But I digress.

My question is...what stories from this collection have *not* been re-anthologized?

Thanks, Bradbury Scholars!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beautifulsoup,

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington DC metro area | Registered: 06 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A library sent it to you!? Pray, tell us more.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They sure did! I figured what the heck, I'd try and see if anyone would lend it out. I work at a University, and we have interlibrary loan privileges.

A Richmond (VA) public library sent their copy. It supposedly has water damage (per the library's handwritten note in the front of the book (although they could've fooled me), a few pages with minor internal tears, and a few pages that looked like they may have been xeroxed from torn out original pages and then the whole thing rebound somehow - in sort of burgundy vinyl-ish boards. In addition, masking tape holds it together, lol. It's not a great copy - maybe that's why they released it. Not much "collector value" there! Anyway, it's due May 22.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: beautifulsoup,

Posts: 13 | Location: Washington DC metro area | Registered: 06 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beautifulsoup:
They sure did! Not much "collector value" there! Anyway, it's due May 22.

Definitely a collector's item! Were it me, I fear that copy might get "lost in the mail"!

You're in DC? Email me on forrestjbradbury at gmail dot com, please.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watch out, beautifulsoup, Spaulding sounds like he wants to steal that book you are responsible for!

I don't have an instant answer to your question about which stories were never re-anthologised, but if you would care to peruse the Ray Bradbury Short Story Finder on my website, you should be able to work it out quite easily.

There is one caveat: Bradbury re-wrote many of the Dark Carnival stories for later publications, which is one of the reasons Dark Carnival was allowed to go out of print. (His preferred texts, we assume, are the re-written versions. Some of the revisions were minimal, others were more extensive. Most (if not all) of the revised versions appeared in The October Country, which has remained in print ever since its first appearance.

There was a limited edition re-issue of Dark Carnival a few years ago, but even this re-issue has become a rare, much sought-after item.

The original Arkham edition - the one you appear to have acquired via the library system - can fetch many thousands of dollars on ebay auctions.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
quote:
They sure did! Not much "collector value" there! Anyway, it's due May 22.

Definitely a collector's item! Were it me, I fear that copy might get "lost in the mail"!

You're in DC? Email me on forrestjbradbury at gmail dot com, please.

I know a restorer who for $1,500 will make a customer box and leather 3-d replacement boards for your Dark Carnival.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Watch out, beautifulsoup, Spaulding sounds like he wants to steal that book you are responsible for!

Pay no attention to that madman across the water!

Now beautifulsoup, come into my parlour.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Cheap honest edition: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dark-Carni...C293%3A1%7C294%3A100
The custom edition I mentioned: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dark-Carni...C293%3A1%7C294%3A100
For the purist: http://cgi.ebay.com/RAY-BRADBU...C293%3A1%7C294%3A100

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shhhh, lol! I knew about that cheaper Ebay thing. In fact, the seller had it up for $325 first bid last time, and I just couldn't do it...

I think last time the seller had it listed , I decided I would try the library route instead. This gives you some idea about my finances. Frowner
I'm not that much of a Bradbury bibliophile, at any rate.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I think last time the seller had it listed , I decided I would try the library route instead. This gives you some idea about my finances. Frowner
I'm not that much of a Bradbury bibliophile, at any rate.

Just don't let Doug Spaulding sway you over to the dark side with the library copy...then you'd be known as the beautifulsoup nazi... (can I get a communal groan here)

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:

But what about for the purist with no money?

Sixty-five hundred bucks!?!? Why didn't my parents have the foresight to purchase a few of those back in '47 and plastic-sleeve them for me? Well, I suppose since they were very young at the time, it can be understood.

Two fifty seems an awfully affordable starting bid, but last time I was involved in an eBay bid for Dark Carnival, I had to bail out when the kitchen got too hot. And no dust jacket! Hence the low price, I shouldn't wonder.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...And no dust jacket! Hence the low price, I shouldn't wonder.
So this is the perfect edition to have the custom leather cover made.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
But it's already the original hardback. Why get a custom cover made?

(Just curious...)

posted Hide Post
quote:
But it's already the original hardback. Why get a custom cover made?

(Just curious...)

The condition of the book is below collector standards. No dust jacket, the binding is no longer straight, the corners and spine have dents in them. So a compulsive/obsesive person such as myself would make it beautiful again.

John King Tarpinian

ImageDark.jpg (17 Kb, 8 downloads)

posted Hide Post
I just did a search on this title; there are two copies out there available in the $200 range, still...

It's interesting to note that the Gauntlet reprint (numbered edition) is just about impossible to obtain now, and those one or two copies that are out there are extremely expensive. I suppose that's because everyone who bought a copy of this is firmly holding on to it with both hands---I know I am! But I daresay that in a few years a number of these will come on to the secondary market, and the price will drop a bit...

Posts: 232 | Location: The Land of Trees and Heroes | Registered: 10 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post