Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury Postage Stamp campaign
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury Postage Stamp campaign
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I've just discovered that Ray Bradbury has been featured on a postage stamp!

The African nation of Djibouti issued a sheetlet of 9 stamps in 2010, featuring science fiction writers.

The writers appearing are: H. G. Wells, Jules Verne, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, Ray Bradbury, William Gibson, Robert A. Heinlein, and Douglas Adams.

Here's an image:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item...S_DJIBOUTI_2010.html

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yay! I think I had seen these before, but I can't remember where. Things seem to have gone quiet on the promised US series of SF writer stamps.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the link below, the Citizens’ Stamps Advisory Committee has approved a set of Science Fiction Writers stamps for 2015.

The green text indicates that the designs have already been approved!

I'm totally confident that we're going to see Ray on one of them. My only regret is that the USPS nowadays issues almost exclusively self-adhesive stamps, which don't display as nicely as traditional stamps with dry, water-activated gum (individually, that is - sheets look OK).

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No link, douglasSP, no link!

I seem to recall recently reading that USPS have not only fixed the designs for the set due out in 2015, but have put together a second list of SF authors for a follow-up set. (I think there was a lot of concern that the first list didn't reflect the diversity of the field.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last I heard, the subject had to be deceased for ten years before appearing on a U. S. postage stamp, unless they have changed or made an exception to that rule.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Last I heard, the subject had to be deceased for ten years before appearing on a U. S. postage stamp, unless they have changed or made an exception to that rule.

They have changed that rule.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
The missing link will be on a set of paleontology stamps scheduled for... oh, wait! Now I see what you mean!

Here it is:

http://laughingsquid.com/unite...-jobs-stamp-in-2015/

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
According to the link below, the Citizens’ Stamps Advisory Committee has approved a set of Science Fiction Writers stamps for 2015.

The problem with this is that Ray wasn't a science fiction writer! The good news is that most people (including, I would suspect, the USPS) think that he was!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a psittacism, Doug.

(O.E.D.'s free word of the day, a short while ago. Gotta love it.)

posted Hide Post
Ray considered himself more of a fantasy writer iirc, but he has really written about all types of things, especially in his short stories. Still it is a shame that he hasn't had a stamp yet. I believe they will get around to it, though, one of these days.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post