Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury story?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury story?
 Login/Join

posted
Rec'd below from librarian trying to answer patron. Did not recognize the story. Any ideas? Thanks!

"Hi, a patron was in looking for a short story she had read from a
collection about 20 years ago. She thinks it was written by Ray Bradbury.
The plot is: a man time travles 80 years into the future. He returns and
tells his friends that everything is wonderful then, there is time to
clean up rivers and the environment, people witll be healthier & live
longer, etc. Everyone works together and they do accomplish this. Because
they live longer he is still alive in 80 years time and they ask him when
his time machine will appear because they want to greet it. He eventually
has to let them know it was a hoax. does this sound familiar to anyone?"

Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it is 'The Toynbee Convector'. It was published in 1984 - 20 years ago.

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Elron! Will forward your answer immediately. Hope to create another happy Bradbury fan out there - just now reading "From the Dust Returned," and am cackling over the "...beds with lids."

Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, it's great to have someone ask for a "maybe Bradbury" story and we actually know it for once! It's nice to be able to help.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's nice to help. I often answer such a questions. I think i remeber approx 200 Bradbury stories. (All that i have read.) How can you forget anything Bradbury's you've read?

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you can help me find this Bradbury short story which I read years ago and now cannot locate, nor recall the title. The story was about a high fashion photography shoot in a poor county (perhaps Latin America?) and a native, a man, comes along and demands the model and photographer pay to take a picture with a small boy in a poor village. The photographer and model are taken aback and fail to see how they are objectifying the child and the culture.
Thanks!

Posts: 1 | Registered: 07 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like "Sun and Shadow." A short story, play, and episode of "Ray Bradbury Theater."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Sun and Shadow" can be found in Ray's collection, THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN (still in print as a trade paperback), as well as his hardcover collection THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY, published by Knopf. It was also published separately in a limited edition of 90 copies by the Quenian Press in 1957, but is extremely rare and expensive in that format.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 06-08-2004).]

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post