Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    looking for original title
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for original title
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"The Change" or "The Fake" appears to be "Marionettes, Inc."

"A Drop of Impatience" is Ray's story, "A Touch of Petulance".

I am not aware of a story Ray wrote about an imaginary interview with Jules Verne.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Marvels and Miracles, Pass It On." Another 1950s magazine-only, never collected in book form story, which it surprises me to see translated into Russian.

"A Drop of Impatience" would be "A Touch of Petulance."

As for "The Martian Chronicles," rather I would say that the quality of the writing helped elevate a form previously considered to be pulp fiction to the level of literature.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everybody!

But there's a one mistake. "Marrionetes INC" and "The fake", as translator called it, are two different stories. In "Mar. INC" the robot kills a man. In the story i'm looking for woman destroys the robot and commits a sucide.

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"And the last stories with titles i can't define:
- "the change" or "the fake" - translated title. A man, who is tired for spending time with women, he loves, and who sends a robots to be with them. One woman guesses and kills the robot. A suicide in the end."

This would certainly be the story "Changeling," first published all the way back in July 1949.

Posts: 85 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Is this a joke!? I can't believe these are available in Russian when they are two of Ray's rarest titles in English! They appeared over 50 years ago and to my knowledge have never been reprinted ANYWHERE--not in any Bradbury collection, including the latest book of 100 tales, or even an anthology. They are:
"Love Contest," which appeared in "Saturday Evening Post," May 23, 1952, under the pen name "Leonard Douglas," and "They Knew What They Wanted," which appeared in "Saturday Evening Post," June 26, 1954. Very cute stories about two sisters, not twins, but born less than a year apart. The only way I read them was to find a university library which kept magazines that old.

Dandelion: you so provoked my interest that I immediately went on-line and found copies of both stories, ordered the magazines and now own copies of both. The stories have the Bradbury human touch but are certainly dated in the "Father Knows Best" era of the '50's. I know I am nuts to do this, but it was only about $40 to get a good copy. Thanks for the lead.

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are welcome, glad to be of help.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what about storie which is similar to "Illustrated man" and repeats its idea? But it's longer and finishes with the murder of "Illustrated man" and his wife.

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, maybe you could post that quote, since I haven't gotten to it yet.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, dandelion, were you talking to me? I seem to have missed something in this thread!

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, Phil is my nickname for patrask.

posted Hide Post
Ah, now I understand. Sorry!

- Phil (another one)

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And what about storie which is similar to "Illustrated man" and repeats its idea? But it's longer and finishes with the murder of "Illustrated man" and his wife.

posted Hide Post
All I can tell you is it's not "The Illustrated Woman" and doesn't sound familiar to me.

posted Hide Post
Well, it's not "Illustrated Woman" - i know this story well. The plot of the story i'm looking for is much bigger, than "Illustrated man", but similar to it. The main hero works in the circus and quarells with his wife. Than he meets a woman, which makes him a lot of tatoos. So, they give an advertisement to show him to public. But two pictures was closed, and when they were opened - one of them turned to be an image of the hero killing his wife (and he did it) and the other - the picture of the hero murdered (and the story finishes with this).

posted Hide Post
Okay, this sounds like one of the stories in "A Memory of Murder." Anyone have a copy handy to check?