Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Whats Does "The Tea" at the end of the veldt resemble?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats Does "The Tea" at the end of the veldt resemble?
 Login/Join

posted
at the end of the veldt one of the children asks the psychologist, "a cup of tea?" My teacher says the tea is symbolizing something but i cant figure out what it is. anyone know??

[This message has been edited by someguy03 (edited 06-11-2003).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the children were trying to lull the doctor into thinking everything was o.k. They were trying to appear civilized, despite the fact they had just murdered their parents in cold blood. Then when his guard was down, they'd get him out of the way too. That's my take on the ending.

Posts: 581 | Location: Naperville, IL 60564 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it refer to the Brand of Tea anywhere?
I don't recall, but if so... it's an obvious market-testing of such type of early subliminal advertising, in this case, an unassuming fiction format....
And THAT is my take....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about this?

At the conclusion of the story, the young girl asks the psychologist David McClean, "Some Tea?" The children, Peter and Wendy - a la "Never, Neverland" - now have complete control of the virtual room. The adult world, and all of its restrictions, has been eliminated with the deaths (murders) of their parents.

So, with a classic bit of ironic twist, the very civilized offering of a friendly cup of tea seems double edged. The children are either saying, "WE are now in control of what is to happen! Play our way - or else! No debate or argument will be tolerated!"

Or, "Welcome to our "reality" Mr. McClean. No hard feelings, but how about a final cup of tea before you become the next treat for the lions!"

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-13-2003).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i still think it could be something more than that, but, tommorow he'll tell us so then ill know.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, folks.
I've been tied up for a while with moving back home for the summer and all that... it's nice to be back! I'll be around infrequently (I have to use the public library computer), but will try to keep up, especially with the Dandelion Wine reading and all...
There's this short story by Saki that, when I read it the other day, reminded me of The Veldt. The title is Srendi Vashtar, and it works in kind of the same way- without the technology, i guess...

Finally Getting Warm,
Dan

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
... and with a piece of toast, instead of a cup of tea...

Posts: 117 | Location: The Great North of New York State | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan B:
'nuff to say...it's quiet around here ....

NOTE:
If anyone is in Santa Barbara, California this weekend, Ray WILL be speaking at the Santa Barbara Writer's Conference, 8 PM Saturday evening. I was hoping to get there, now the chance is slightly less than slim.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, Yes, details....

Santa Barbara Writer's Conference info: Ray speaks to everyone on June 21, 8PM Saturday. The topic, "The Mixture as Before."

For those details, plus location and other stuff, click on or type into finder: http://www.sbwc.org/web3/program/schedule.html

posted Hide Post
Nard, I have noticed Ray ALMOST NEVER uses currently-available brand names in his writing. Products mentioned are either invented to enhance a future setting, or obsolete to enhance a past one, or generic, such as "tea" with no brand name--just one little quirky aspect of his writing. Dan, I asked Ray if he was influenced at all by Saki, and he said no, it was "all John Collier."

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, both in RB's "Veldt" and the Collier ending of "Thus I Refute Beelzy" the children's ultimate revenge ("just desserts") seems similarly poignant.

After an entire story of an overbearing father, Small Simon also takes things into his own hands, or more accurately "mind":

RE:"It was on the second-floor landing that they found the shoe, with the man's foot still in it, like the last morsel of a mouse which sometimes falls unnoticed from the side of the jaws of the cat!"

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saki's "Sredni Vashtar" is a very similar theme, situtation, and ending, but does not seem to have been a direct influence on Ray.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post