Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury's Venice home
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury's Venice home
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I think...
...I think this is the house we were talking about here in these forum postings...

ImageBradburyPlaque.JPG (143 Kb, 28 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here is that same address today. Soon to become a parking lot for the old power station that is being converted into a restaurant.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Imagevacantlot.jpg (247 Kb, 17 downloads) As it is today

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They razed the home? The fools!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, not quite a restaurant - a retail art gallery is planned. While some entrepreneur could someday apply for variances, exceptions and permits for a restaurant, the current owner plans to sell art (as opposed to creating it). Brace yourselves: The project's conceptual drawing can be viewed here.

The results of our committee's deliberations on the project can be reviewed here (search for "660 venice" and choose the 8/21/2008 message). Our Council Board approved the flavor of these conditions, which will be included in next Thursday's hearing with the City.

It's no bungalow, but it's something memorable; it would certainly be enlivened by posting that group picture at the site - if for no other reason than to display the amazing tie!

Posts: 5 | Registered: 14 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetpower:
Well, not quite a restaurant - a retail art gallery is planned. While some entrepreneur could someday apply for variances, exceptions and permits for a restaurant, the current owner plans to sell art (as opposed to creating it). Brace yourselves: The project's conceptual drawing can be viewed here.

The results of our committee's deliberations on the project can be reviewed here (search for "660 venice" and choose the 8/21/2008 message). Our Council Board approved the flavor of these conditions, which will be included in next Thursday's hearing with the City.

It's no bungalow, but it's something memorable; it would certainly be enlivened by posting that group picture at the site - if for no other reason than to display the amazing tie!

Mr. B was under the impression that it was going to be a restaurant. In the artist rendering, just behind where those shadow people are standing was the Bradbury family garage...which is where Ray wrote some of the stories that eventually appeared in Golden Apples of the Sun.

Ironic but, the artist who is creating the 8' bronze, Father Electrico, has his studio in an former power substation.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nick and Edie lived in Venice?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think those two were supposed to be in "The Leavetaking" thread, but it looks as if this home has undergone a leavetaking. Wish someone could have saved us all some souvenirs.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Nick and Edie lived in Venice?

OOPS!
I thought I'd clicked on the "Leavetaking" thread...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
What biplane said.

And watch out. More landmarks are next.

Regrettably, what I said six and a half years ago is coming to pass.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, saw on Facebook that Ray's Cheviot Drive home is now being demolished. It's a sad day, but inevitable.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooohhhh, no!!!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Yes, saw on Facebook that Ray's Cheviot Drive home is now being demolished. It's a sad day, but inevitable.

That's what I was talking about but was waiting to see whether someone would report it here.

posted Hide Post
"I stood in front of the house which loomed above me like a sort of memorial.... The bulldozers flung themselves upon the walls and gnawed at them and I saw them collapse in a cloud of dust and with them all the things that were mine and as I rushed forward it seemed to me that my own foundations were giving way too and I wouldn't any longer know who I was or what I had been."

Clare Mayfield, aged 14, main character of The House in Norham Gardens by Penelope Lively.

RIP 1937 - 2015

Sorry I couldn't come up with a quote of Ray's to express what I am feeling as well as this does, but if I think of one or if someone else does it can be posted among the comments.

Photo by Eric W. Palfreyman of me at 10265 Cheviot Drive, Los Angeles, California, June 11, 2003.

Photo © 2003 by Cornelia Shields.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

posted Hide Post
nothing golden can stay.

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post