Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Writing to authors

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Writing to authors
 Login/Join

posted
The wonderful LETTERS OF NOTE blog has another fascinating post; this time it's one that reminded me of Ray: it reproduces a letter by E.B.White (author of CHARLOTTE'S WEB) in which he writes of his problems in dealing with letters from the fans of his work. He comes across as genuinely puzzled as to what to do for the best, as dealing with the letters seriously interferes with him getting on with his work.

White refers to at least two other types of writers: those who thoroughly enjoy engaging with their fans, signing books and reading from their works (this is the bit that most specifically reminded me of Ray); and those who delight in every possible opportunity for marketing and self-promotion (I can think of a few of these).

Here's the E.B.White post:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2...ail-is-my-enemy.html

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are certainly all different and Ray was the best. Nowadays with email the problem is both better and worse--correspondence is more quickly dealt with but there's more of it! I was very lucky to have a good experience with my very first author letter. Since then I have had some not answer but most gave good answers. I only had one mean answer and have made some lifelong friends.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post