Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Shadow Show
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shadow Show
 Login/Join

posted
New from Gauntlet/Borderlands, short story tribute to Ray.

http://www.gauntletpress.com/c...w&ORDER_ID=280139400

Posts: 79 | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess my link isn't working. Either way, here are the details:

Gauntlet Press and Borderlands Press are working in a collaboration on a signed limited edition of a Ray Bradbury tribute book of short stories. Ray Bradbury is a storyteller without peer, a poet of the possible, and, indisputably, one of America’s most beloved authors. In a much-celebrated literary career that has spanned seven decades, he has produced an astonishing body of work. In SHADOW SHOW, editors Sam Weller and Mort Castle have collected short stories from 26 of the most celebrated authors today to honor Ray Bradbury and his contribution to the literary canon. Also included is an introduction in personal essay form by Ray Bradbury, "Second Homecoming", written specifically for SHADOW SHOW.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Sam Weller and Mort Castle - Introduction

Ray Bradbury - Second Homecoming

Neil Gaiman - The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury

Margaret Atwood - Headlife

Jay Bonansinga - Heavy

Sam Weller - The Girl In The Funeral Parlor

David Morrell - The Companions

Thomas F. Monteleone - The Exchange

Lee Martin - Cat on a Bad Couch

Joe Hill - By The Silver Water Of Lake Champlain

Dan Chaon - Little America

John McNally - The Phone Call

Joe Meno - Young Pilgrims

Robert McCammon - Children Of The Bedtime Machine

Ramsey Campbell - The Page

Mort Castle - Light

Alice Hoffman - Conjure

John Maclay - Max

Jacqueline Mitchard - Two Of A Kind

Gary Braunbeck - Fat Man And Little Boy

Bonnie Jo Campbell - The Tattoo

Audrey Niffenegger - Backwards In Seville

Charles Yu - Earth: (A Gift Shop)

Julia Keller - Hayleigh's Dad

Dave Eggers - Who Knocks?

Bayo Ojikutu - Reservation 2020

Kelly Link - Two Houses

Harlan Ellison - Weariness

posted Hide Post
Strange, your link worked when I clicked on it a few hours ago, but now doesn't work.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah Phil... I experienced the same thing. The link to the website didn't work in the newsletter I received this morning either. Thank goodness for the ever-reliable cut 'n' paste method.

posted Hide Post
The link I posted over here works.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see a new appreciation anthology celebrating Bradbury. There's some good names on their too. I'm sure it'll be a fun book.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gauntlet/Borderlands are using one of the Ralph Nelson photos of Ray Bradbury on the cover of this forthcoming collection.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First review of SHADOW SHOW: ALL-NEW STORIES IN CELEBRATION OF RAY BRADBURY runs in Booklist on Tuesday.

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shadow Show at the forthcoming Comicon:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/13/auto-draft-5/

Sounds great!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the Starred review of Shadow Show from Booklist:

It’s important to know the credentials of the editors of this wondrous anthology of short stories. Weller is the author of the authorized biography of Ray Bradbury, The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury (2005), and Castle is a veteran short story writer and editor of On Writing Horror (2006), a helpful guide to publishing horror novels and short stories. Editorial interest and experience converge here to produce an exciting book. Twenty-six writers celebrate Bradbury through never-before-published short stories, and their offerings bear the acknowledgment that the inspiration for incident, tone, or effect derives from their respect and admiration for the ever-popular sf and fantasy writer—products of “Bradbury’s looming shadow,” as Weller says in his introduction. In the cases of these enticing short works, then, Bradbury was each writer’s master. What is amazing is the range of authors. The roster includes distinguished writers both expected and not, among the latter, Alice Hoffman, Margaret Atwood, and Bonnie Jo Campbell. What is also amazing is the potential audience for this treasury, which would include lovers of short fiction regardless of any previous attraction to sf or fantasy. Public libraries should acquire the book and cross reference it between sf and general fiction collections.
— Brad Hooper

Posts: 71 | Registered: 01 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are a fan of spoken word, you may be happy to know HarperAudio is releasing an unabridged audio of SHADOW SHOW:

http://www.harpercollins.com/b.../?isbn=9780062228741

posted Hide Post
Recording some of it next week. Many different actors reading different stories. Some big names. Can't wait to announce!

Linnl, have you cracked open the book yet?

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ohhhh...yeahhh! Smiler+ Eeker

posted Hide Post
Eager to hear your thoughts!

Launch party in Chicago is July 24 at the Inland Steel Building at 6:30 pm. 8 of the contributors will be on hand. If anyone would like to attend, please let me know.

posted Hide Post
Enjoying SHADOW SHOW. I've read the first five stories so far, and I'm totally impressed. For me, a good short story tends to have some "reverberations" (or echoes) a day, or two, or later, after reading it. Margaret Atwood's "Headlife" had me thinking how much contemporary society is already similar to the one in her story, which could possibly be titled "Heartdead", for all empathy and soul has been ditched for the bottomline and spectacle. After reading "Heavy" by Jay Bonansinga, "I got a plan" to find more by Bonansinga! I love the ending of Sam Weller's "The Girl in the Funeral Parlor". Its a weird tale. David Morrell's "The Companions" is intriguing, and sad, and leaves me hoping "well, maybe it will be like that." Finally, given Neil Gaiman's passion for the spoken word, I'm making a guess he'll be reading the wonderful "The Man Who Forgot Ray Bradbury", for the audio release. Hope so!