Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Shadow Show
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shadow Show
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Spotted this about an upcoming SHADOW SHOW event:
http://gapersblock.com/bookclu...lus_margaret_atwood/

Sam Weller also has this tribute about the much loved dweller of a dandelion-yellow painted home:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...ome_1_b_1676119.html

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a wonderful article by Sam Weller.

And so, Mr. Weller must now shuffle through his abundant files of untold RB conversations, anecdotes, and sidetracks. We must be let in on so many things not revealed in Chronicles and Echoes!

I found myself reading both of the SW works as I did Green Shadows, White Whale (many years ago while traveling around the Gaspe Peninsula). Each page turned slowly so as to allow the tale to last just a bit longer. There is nothing more unsettling than the last page of an intensely enjoyable narration too soon arrived at...

Any word on Mr. Weller's plans for a future RB project? We need to continue our travels to Mars, Ireland, Green Town, and, of course, those small town carnivals, haunted houses, magnificent launch pads, dystopian futures (now our present), as well as back to the forgotten past of the the terrifying T-Rex! What treasures those overflowing cabinets in Mr. Bradbury's writing office must hold!!!

Mr. Bradbury is truly missed.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 71 | Registered: 01 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
fjp--

Thanks for your kind words on my essay on the Huffington Post. That was written Bradbury style, in about an hour and half, fingers flying, long after midnight, in a blaze of subconscious inspiration. Just a few hours after finishing it, I left for San Diego and Comic Con.

Whew!

To answer your question: I may have used 25% of my material for LISTEN TO THE ECHOES. I would be happy to do a second volume if people want it. The Japanese Edition of Echoes has just come out, as has the ebook for English language countries. I have fought to have the book chapter header photos in color. I have been told they may do this in a near-future edition. We will see. It costs nothing to do this, so I hope the publisher keeps their word. The "still-lifes" at the front of each chapter say a lot about Ray. Perhaps I could add annotation to the pictures (as I did with the "Childhood" photo on my blog).

An update of THE BRADBURY CHRONICLES is being discussed as we speak. I would not want to do this unless I could expand the book considerably.

Mort Castle and I are set to sign with IDW to publish SHADOW SHOW ILLUSTRATED. This will feature graphic adaptations of the stories in SHADOW SHOW.

Have you heard the SHADOW SHOW audio book? This one truly has me excited.

Finally, in the last two years, Ray and I had many discussions about two things:

1/ A Ray Bradbury museum in Waukegan. Ray really wanted to purchase his grandfather's home at 619 Washington Blvd. I would like to lead this charge, although it may end up being housed in the old Carnegie Library where Ray fell in love with reading. I would like this to be a fan-funded project. We all could make this happen in honor of Ray.

2/ Ray and I regularly discussed an animated television project. I hope to meet with Frank Darabont about this. We would be the prefect partners. This would all have to be cleared, of course, through Ray's daughters and his agent, but I will say, Ray really wanted this....

Question answered? If you want an ECHOES 2, contact Melville House Publishers and let them know. I am game.

At present, I have a collection of short stories 75% done and a novel I am just starting. Lots o the way!

Yrs,

SW

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Sam Weller:

Thanks so much for all your work on behalf of Ray's fascinating life and legacy!

Regarding a Bradbury Museum in Waukegan, I thought I'd mention that emphasizing private funding might be the best way to get it going and keep it going. The Poe House in Baltimore is heavily dependent on city funds and consequently has been recently threatened with closing due to tight budgets.

I am also curious about any future plans for Bradbury's house in L.A. Anything you could share?

Posts: 43 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 06 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam, I think I heard something before about Ray wanting to buy that house but the price was more than he was willing to pay? I'd love to see it and the St. James house next door made into a museum compound.

Also, WHY do the graves of his brother, sister, uncle, and possibly grandfather and others remain unmarked? Is this some wish of the family's? Can a historical association do anything about this?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Sam Weller has another official Web site: www.samweller.net

posted Hide Post
This was awesome! Weller, Castle, and Campbell read parts of their stories from Shadow Show AND talk about Bradbury for an hour!

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/bez/...-story-legacy-101141

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by echoes:
This was awesome! Weller, Castle, and Campbell read parts of their stories from Shadow Show AND talk about Bradbury for an hour!

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/bez/...-story-legacy-101141

Thanks for the links, echoes. I've been looking for maybe a podcast or audio download. If any board members spot one, kindly post a link. Thank you.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion--

Sorry it has taken me awhile to get on here and see your question. Lots going on with Shadow Show and I am trying to finish a collection of short stories.

Indeed, there are several unmarked Bradbury family graves in Waukegan. I asked Ray about this and his only answer was that the family didn't have the money at the time to purchase headstones. Ray's Uncle Lester Moberg (shot in Oct. of 1932 in a robbery) is buried north of town and it is beguiling why there is no grave marker. He was a World War I veteran. From my understanding, the armed forces would pay for this. Someone would just have to do the logistical work to make it happen. I addressed all of this with Ray a few years ago, but after all this time, he didn't seem too interested in buying headstones for all the family members who rest in unmarked graves, including Ray's brother (died in 1918 of Spanish flu) and his sister who died of pneumonia in 1926, as I recall.

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mike Langford--

Thanks for your kind words. The Bradbury family, at this moment, is holding on to the big old Bradbury home and not making any decisions about it. I know that Ray wanted everything to stay there, as is, and leave it as a sort of museum, but I don't think the neighborhood association would allow it to become any sort of public destination. The girls just want to take their time and mourn, as they should. I have not had the courage to go back in the house since Ray died. It will be too sad without him there.

posted Hide Post
I've read so many tributes to Ray Bradbury, but I've found nothing more moving than Sam Weller's piece about Ray's now quiet house.

I'm also working my way through Shadow Show, and so far my favorite story is the Sam Weller one.

Sam Weller was, of course, a good friend of Ray Bradbury.

Now all this could be coincidence.

But I'm beginning to think the odds are pretty long.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, douglasSP, you just made my day. Thank you so much.

Not sure if you saw the other story I wrote for SHADOW SHOW that I did not go with--"The Shadows Behind the Trees." It can be downloaded for free on my blog, www.listentotheechoes.com. Ray really liked this story.

I am very sad, still, with the loss of Ray. I can't believe he is no longer with us. Thanks for bringing me a cup of good cheer!

posted Hide Post
Yes, I did read it, and a fine thing it is, too. I did post a one line comment on the Echoes blog.

Peter Nel (DouglasSP)

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post