Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Was Ray Bradbury influenced by Edgar Allen Poe?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was Ray Bradbury influenced by Edgar Allen Poe?
 Login/Join

posted
If so, how was he? Has Poe influenced any other authors (preferably European)? Any help is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 1 | Location: US | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, he started reading Poe's stories at the age of 8. Poe appears as a character in the short story "The Exiles," and is mentioned in several of Ray's poems and his nostalgic Halloween article. "Usher II" is based on a Poe theme.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poe was also a big influence on Jules Verne. Verne once wrote a novel, "The Sphinx of the Ice Fields", which was a sequel to Poe's "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym". He also wrote a critical assesment of Poe (contained in the book THE JULES VERNE SCRAPBOOK, edited by Peter Haining, now sadly out-of-print).

Posts: 29 | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're lucky enough to live near LA, don't miss this.

Directed by my friend and Ray's, Stuart Gordon, it going to be a good one!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Ray's lovely story "Last Rites."

Poe is (along with Wilde and Melville) one of the impoverished and seemingly faded writers that the time traveler visits on their deathbeds in order to reassure them of their literary value and immortality.

Ray was also influenced by our mutual friend (and Ray's fellow WEIRD TALES scribe) Robert Bloch, who "collaborated" with Poe by finishing the short story "The Lighthouse." Bob (who passed away in 1994) also paid tribute to Poe in his ghoulish tale "The Man Who Collected Poe."

Ray gave me great comments about Poe when DARK CARNIVAL was reissued and WHEN THE DUST RETURNED was first published. Much of that will appear in my book.

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terry, could you tell us more about your book?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray wrote a very touching and moving tribute to his dear friend Robert Bloch at the time of his passing. Ray's tribute was re-printed in the terrific Bloch collection, ROBERT BLOCH: APPRECIATIONS OF THE MASTER, edited by Richard Matheson and Ricia Mainhardt and published in 1995, shortly after Bloch's death. When I first read Ray's tribute, it almost brought tears to my eyes. For anyone who might be interested, here is a link to some more information about the book:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co...ations-of-master.htm

Posts: 2462 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be glad to, Phil. I'm working on a book on Ray's work in theatre, film, radio and television. I've already done some incredible interviews (with Ray and many, many others).

I'm also working on a related book WITH Ray, at his request (which is very exciting), but I'll have to hold off on those details till Ray's ready to divulge. Thanks for asking!

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post