Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Disturbing news on Martian Chronicles (Hill House)
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Disturbing news on Martian Chronicles (Hill House)
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
While I suspect many are sort of on the fence with Hill House...hoping that they finally come thru, etc....regardless of the personal situation, SOME explanation was in order for those who have (in good faith) spent some serious bucks for their books. I wouldn't be the LEAST bit pleased to have spent $325 with nothing to show for it, except a HINT that another not-so-hot publisher (PS) may pick up the slack. Unacceptable.

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speedlace:
Looks like I found this thread just a little too late! I ordered a collection of Bradbury's poetry from the Hill House website many, many weeks ago, and it never arrived. (According to the site, the book is not a Hill House publication, but is remaindered from another publisher).

My emails to Peter Schneider at Hill House (the recipient of my payment) have gone unanswered, as has the "dispute" I filed with PayPal a few weeks ago. I've now escalated the "dispute" to a "claim," which means PayPal steps in, but really, I'd rather just have the book!

What a drag. Hope this post saves someone else my headache...

Yep...I was lucky enough to have NOT been charged for my order of THE CAT'S PAJAMAS. What a flakey outfit.

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The latest from PS, a copy of email communication betwixt the British publisher and me:

Hi John,

This is a tough one. It did look, for a time, as though we were going to be joining forces with Hill House to do Ray's MARTIAN CHRONICLES but the project has come to a halt. We'll make an announcement as and when the situation changes.

Best wishes,

Nicky Crowther

----- Original Message -----
To: enquiries@PSPublishing.co.uk
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:06 PM
Subject: The Martian Chronicles

Hi. Donn Albright tells me that Peter Crowther has joined forces with Hill House to finish this book. Are there any news on its publication?

Thanks,

John

Doesn't look too promising, does it? Enquiries is a good word. Halt is not.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ouch! That is not good news

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think what is needed is an official "its scrapped" so others can jump in. I know of one other small press publisher who has said he was interested in doing the book. Maybe Ray's agent can shed some light on the overall situation.

posted Hide Post
I saw the art work for the unreleased book in Ray's study when I visited with him a while ago. I sure hope someone comes through with this beautiful book.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agreed i actually have a triptych of three of the prints by Edward Miller. They are phenomenal! If a new publisher is involved they gotta keep the artwork.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Triptych is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Triptych is a good word.

That trumps my diptych.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Triptych is a good word.

That trumps my diptych.

Which trumps the unitych that I don't have (yet).

"I was not born, but instead created. I’m not alive, and yet I exist. I will never die, but some day I will be forgotten, as was the light by which I came into this world." MTD

Posts: 168 | Location: Out of the Attic | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
That trumps my diptych.

Only by one plate.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
And now there's this from Gauntlet:

Forthcoming Titles from Gauntlet Press

While we mention updates as we receive additional information from our printer, from now on our final item will mention our titles and when to expect publication. These are subject to change (for any number of reasons) and if there is a change we will mention it in the body of the newsletter.

MASKS by Ray Bradbury: A Halloween release, now at the printer
LEGACIES: 10 ANNIVERSARY EDITION by F. Paul Wilson: Late-Fall release
HE IS LEGEND: AN ANTHOLOGY CELEBRATING RICHARD MATHESON: February 2009
THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES (not a Gauntlet release): Release not determined.

The plot, as they say, thickens...

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, that comment has been in the last several Gauntlet emails. It's nothing new.

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just checked and found the Hill House site is now removed....

posted Hide Post
Disturbing indeed!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post