Ray Bradbury Forums
Disturbing news on Martian Chronicles (Hill House)

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/3551065163

27 March 2008, 11:40 AM
gguthrie
Disturbing news on Martian Chronicles (Hill House)
Well it's obviously nice to know that the book is going to be finished. But if you compare The Cats Pajamas +5 to Dandelion Wine, there is a huge drop off in quality. Its sad Hill House has so many problems, because they make one of the best books out there. But they key word here is ‘make’. If they aren’t making the book, well then someone else has to.

I have a feeling I’ll still like my Heritage Book Club edition the best.
30 March 2008, 02:17 PM
Carcosa
Howdy GGuthrie...fancy meeting you here!

I agree completely with your previous post. I wasn't overly thrilled with the two PS published Bradbury titles I have and am a bit sorry to see they seem to have cornered the RB limited market along with Gauntlet.

I like my standard limited of CATS PAJAMAS very much so I am sorry to see Hill House bottom out again. Although I also agree that the LEC (and Heritage Press reprint) would be hard to top from a design and production standpoint.
10 April 2008, 02:13 PM
bsaenz24
Does anyone know if/when an annoucement is supposed to be made about the publisher switch.
11 April 2008, 05:21 AM
philnic
...or whether the new publisher will attach a lower asking price for the volume?

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
17 April 2008, 02:21 PM
Andrew
I'm wondering if those of us that paid for this edition of The Martian Chronicles YEARS ago & have moved, changed e-mail addresses etc. are still on the list to receive the book. Knowing my luck, my name will probably have been "accidentally" lost.

This has really been the worst online commerce experience of my entire life. Three cheers for Gauntlet Press, Cemetery Dance & other phenomenal (and reputable) publishers.
24 April 2008, 06:30 AM
Carcosa
It would be great if Subterranean negotiated the publication of this edition. They did something similair when the announced they would be picking up and publishing the Robert E. Howard hardcovers where Wandering Star left off, leaving a series of unreleased hardcovers behind.
07 August 2008, 07:18 PM
bsaenz24
Has anyone heard anything new on this title? A confirmation from Hill House that it's not coming? Anything?
11 August 2008, 08:21 AM
gguthrie
Yes and No

A good idea might be to send an email to Peter over at PS Publishing, as you will get a response from him.

One thing new with Hill House, though. On Neil Gaiman's web site he posted this statement:

quote:
It looks there will be good news for all the people who have paid for Neverwhere from Hill House (or anything overdue from Hill House). I'll have more concrete information very soon.

Neverwhere is another book that people bought in 2003 and it still hasn’t been released. I have a feeling we are going to finally hear some news from Hill House. It will either be, he’s caught up and the books are finally coming out. Or the books have been moved to another publisher, which seems to be the case with Martian Chronicles.

Hill House has been in contact with Gaiman, so something is going on.
11 August 2008, 08:21 AM
gguthrie
Oh btw, the post from Gaiman was on Friday (8/8)
11 August 2008, 08:36 PM
bsaenz24
gguthrie,

Thanks for that information. I'll be eager to see what news comes out.

Brad
13 August 2008, 11:50 AM
bsaenz24
I sent Sam Weller (Bradbury Chronicles) an email to ask if he knew if Hill House even had rights to the limited of Martian Chronicles, as I had heard that was possibly one of the issues in the first place and here, with his permission is his reply.

I haven't spoken to the Hill House folks in quote some time, but I can
assure you that the company certainly had the rights as of about a
year ago and they had done a MOUNTAIN of work to make their edition of
THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES incredible. I have all the images of the
artwork that they contracted and it's beautiful. I know that they had
gathered all the Bradbury Mars stories that did not go into the
initial 1950 release. I also gave them a copy from my own files of an
essay that Ray wrote in the 50s called "How I Wrote My Book," that
goes into considerable detail as to what he set out to accomplish when
he began writing his Mars stories

While I know it is very disappointing to have to wait for a book that
you have paid for, I can tell you that the Hill House guys are great
people, that their heart is in the right place, and the book will come
out or you will receive your money back. I'm very confident in the
company. While waiting for the product is grueling, their end result,
in my opinion, is unparalleled, The deluxe edition business is one of
love--there is little to no profit. It takes time. There are myriad,
unpredictable set backs with design, printing, binding, etc. Hang
tough. If I hear anything more, I will certainly let you know. Please
feel free to share this information with anyone else you know who
ordered the book.
13 August 2008, 12:53 PM
Doug Spaulding
It appears that the cheap ($325) version is identical to the more expensive one - save for the numbering/lettering difference.

I'll be saving towards my $325 purchase just in case this ever happens.

"Live Forever!"
13 August 2008, 07:26 PM
bsaenz24
I think the difference for the MC is the traycase for the lettered. Not enough for me to pay the extra, whatever it might be if and when they ever show a price.

It seems "lettered" editions are often not worth the extra money, at least to me. I know they are generally leather-bound and come with a traycase, which are both nice, but if it doesn't have some interesting addtional material, I personally don't think it's generally with the 300+ more for the lettered over the limited.
14 August 2008, 10:35 PM
speedlace
Looks like I found this thread just a little too late! I ordered a collection of Bradbury's poetry from the Hill House website many, many weeks ago, and it never arrived. (According to the site, the book is not a Hill House publication, but is remaindered from another publisher).

My emails to Peter Schneider at Hill House (the recipient of my payment) have gone unanswered, as has the "dispute" I filed with PayPal a few weeks ago. I've now escalated the "dispute" to a "claim," which means PayPal steps in, but really, I'd rather just have the book!

What a drag. Hope this post saves someone else my headache...
15 August 2008, 07:45 AM
gguthrie
Speedlace you can buy a copy at Camelot Books and gifts (do a google search)