Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Hosts Evening of Film Favorites
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Hosts Evening of Film Favorites
 Login/Join

posted
I know this has been posted on the "Appearances and Book Signings" thread, but since (a) it's a national television appearance rather than a personal appearance or a book-signing, and (b) Ray is the biggest movie buff in the world (I gave up arguing my cinematic supremacy years ago), I thought this deserved its own topic:

Ray will join Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne as Guest Programmer for four films on Thursday, Nov. 20 (one week before Thanksgiving). The lineup includes two Lon Chaney (senior, of course) masterpieces, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (at 8 p.m. EDT) and THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (9:45 p.m. EDT), plus Alfred Hitchcock's REBECCA (11:45 p.m. EDT) and Orson Welles' CITIZEN KANE (2 a.m. EDT).

The lineup appears to me to be extremely appropriate and well-selected, given Chaney's role as Ray's earliest silent-screen influence and the fact that Ray knew and worked with both Hitch and Orson at various times (and in various capacities) over the years.

KING KONG and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN were apparently off the table for discussion for programming reasons. (Both have been aired multiple times in recent months.)

Also, I mentioned to Ray on the phone yesterday that it would have been even more ideal to have him guest host on Halloween. He said, "I'll push for that next year!"

Terry Pace
pillaroffire@bellsouth.net

"God, here and there, makes madness a calling." -- Ray Bradbury

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Terry,

I've already set my TiVo.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, John, you have a TiVo. Marvellous! I have one, as well - one of about 30,000 sold in the UK (of which maybe a thousand are still in use). Alas, nothing beyond series 1 machines were ever released over here, and we British TiVo users are a dying breed.

I thought Mr B must have been choosing from a list. No way he would have chosen Rebecca over King Kong. (Actually, I love both.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Ah, John, you have a TiVo. Marvellous! I have one, as well - one of about 30,000 sold in the UK (of which maybe a thousand are still in use). Alas, nothing beyond series 1 machines were ever released over here, and we British TiVo users are a dying breed.

I thought Mr B must have been choosing from a list. No way he would have chosen Rebecca over King Kong. (Actually, I love both.)

I used TiVo generically. It is a DVR that will record four shows while watching a fifth.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it when TiVo is used generically. TiVo is a good word, especially when used as a verb:

"I tivoed the show while I did the hoovering."

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is "hoovering" anything like "electroluxing"?

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly so, but both terms are now obsolete. This season, we DYSON!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Exactly so, but both terms are now obsolete. This season, we DYSON!

On this side of the pond the recording devices are "free" with a two year contract. I pay $26 a month for all channels, short of the pay packages; HBO, etc.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
This season, we DYSON!

What you want to do is Rainbow!

Best in the world.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I think I would prefer to roomba.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Yeah - I fancy those little robots, too. But they don't trap the dust in water!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In just a couple of hours, Ray will be channeling the spirit of Lon Chaney ... :-)

Terry Pace

Posts: 92 | Location: Muscle Shoals, Alabama | Registered: 30 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by William Lantry:
In just a couple of hours, Ray will be channeling the spirit of Lon Chaney ... :-)

Terry Pace

I bribed she-who-must-be-obeyed by giving her money from my wallet to go to dinner and a movie with a girlfriend tonight so I won't be disturbed while watching...

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I just listened to the Dennis Miller Show's podcast of Dennis's interview with Ray about his selections tonight.

If you go to his website, you have to sign up and pay a monthly fee to hear the segment (just under eight minutes), but if you open your iTunes, and go to the podcast section, you can download and listen for free. It's a great, but short, interview.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Tell me that wasn't a Bradbury audioautomatronic on Turner Classic! I've seen Ray livelier at the 5 hr end of a book signing.

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post