Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help With A Summer Assignment On Fahnreheit 451
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help With A Summer Assignment On Fahnreheit 451
 Login/Join

posted
I got a late assignment for the summer since i registered late for highschool and i need to write a dialectical journal of Fahrenheit 451... I've read the book already, understood it but i forgot one of the most important things of the assignment was to find keep a notepad and jot down some quotes that relate to the topics that i had to write about ... well i dont want to be bothered to reread the book over again to find some quotes so i came here to ask for help. I read some of the topics here asking for quotes and one thread caught my eye about amazon has some tool that you can search for text in books well i went on amazon and i couldnt find out how to access this .. later on i found a website which had quotes but theres one thing i have to have the page number for each quote i took some of the quotes from this page (http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451 for thoose who need help Wink ) but i need the page number so what im asking is if someone could help me out with finding some quotes , the quotes have to be related to theese topics ; Individual versus Society, Censorship, Knowledge versus Ignorance, Utopia, and Isolation and/ or alienation. Another thing if you cannot help me with this is if someone could direct the link for the tool to find quotes in the book apparently can be found through amazon.

Thanks in advance, if you want to message me send one to Neonwarrior@hotmail.com ill be on 24/7 working on this.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dialectical journal, is it?

Who in the world would make an assignment like that for a book like Fahrenheit 451? Maybe I'm just getting old and senile, but that has to be one of the most ponderous exhibits of a bored instructor that I have heard of in a long time. In fact, do you know exactly what a dialectical journal is? I take it it's what it says it is, a journal about dialects. Infuse me with hidden knowledge: just where do you intend to find this dialectical information in Fahrenheit 451?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here http://www.amazon.com/Fahrenheit-451-Novel-Ray-Bradbury...7007?ie=UTF8&s=books is a searchable copy of a recent edition of "Fahrenheit 451." But you can't just look at a book page by page, you have to type in a certain word or phrase and then it finds it in the book. It won't let you read the whole book online. Then you may have to check every edition on Amazon (some searchable, some not) to see which printing(s) match up to yours as to page numbers. If you have a physical copy of the book it might be quicker to just leaf through it and write down notes the old-fashioned way.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call me a cynic, but I doubt that Neonwarrior has ever been near a copy of the book, which is why s/he wants us to do the work for him/her...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link dandelion i was able to get the page numbers just fine and @ Philnic, believe it or not i do have a copy of the book i was just asking for help for quotes because i have no clue which quote to title it as under from the topics they list for me..i wasnt asking for the work to be all done for me was just asking for help.

posted Hide Post
A dialectical journal isn't too difficult - you just have to write down some quotes from the work and why you find them interesting or important.

Here's some quote pages that may help:

http://www.novelguide.com/fahrenheit451/toptenquotes.html

http://www.bookrags.com/notes/451/QUO.htm

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/451/quotes.html

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it.

posted Hide Post
Doug
Spaulding

Went to my Webster and can't find a definition for dialetical journal comparable to the one you are using. Are we saying my 1923 edition is not up to speed?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Doug
Spaulding

Went to my Webster and can't find a definition for dialetical journal comparable to the one you are using. Are we saying my 1923 edition is not up to speed?

I won't dispute you - the best things happened in the 1920s!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NeonWarrior:
...Philnic, believe it or not i do have a copy of the book i was just asking for help for quotes because i have no clue which quote to title it as under from the topics they list for me..i wasnt asking for the work to be all done for me was just asking for help.

NeonWarrior, I apologise. We get a lot of similar requests, usually from people who never return to the forum. Good luck with the journal!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
NeonWarrior, I apologise.

I like the way the British spell apologise.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
But Doug, it is typically excellent behaviour on their part.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
I like the way the British spell apologise.

I'm glad you don't despise the way we spell apologise!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm glad you don't despise the way we spell apologise!

You're funny for a Briton!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
In Anthony Burgess's novella, A Clockwork Orange, it's "appy polly loggies", the "nadsat" slang version of saying you're sorry.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post